Ficus elastica tricolor white specks

mecs7705January 25, 2012

My plant has tiny white specks around the outside of many leaves (covering an are of about 1 inch from edge). Specks are abut 1/8 to 1/4, to 1/2 inch apart. Can't find any insects on the outer surface or under surface of leaves which appear healthy. Is this a normal feature of this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deburn(6 - Boston MA)

I don't know for sure, but it doesn't sound like.

Can you post pics?

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 9:29PM
birdsnblooms

MECS...Did a leaf/stem/trunk happen to rip or removed?

When a section of F. elastica is tears, a white, milky substance, 'latex' seeps from the cut/wound.
I was wondering if latex could have splashed on leaves.

Are you familiar with Mealy Bugs? Mealy, are white, cottony-looking insects that appear immobile.

Either sound like your issue? Toni

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 3:31AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

MECS - please bear with me for just a moment & we'll get to your answer. I'd like to make a point.

If I simply show up and announce that they are a normal part of the plant's anatomy and say nothing more, there is no way to determine if I know what I'm talking about or not, unless you trust me; and it would certainly appear as though I was disagreeing with the probability of it being any of the above for the sake of disagreement. If, however, I say they are normal inclusions called cystoliths, occurring in cells called lithocysts and a normal part of the plant's anatomy, it puts the reply in a different light, which is always how I try to reply to anyone if I don't happen to agree.

If these structures are examined under a microscope, you'll see a little stalk or stem-like structure with a cluster of (CaCO3/calcium carbonate) crystals that look a little like a head of cauliflower on top of the stem.

Al

Bookmark   January 26, 2012 at 7:47AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

MECS7705, if you scroll down to the 11th. image on this site, you will see spots which might help.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Mini garden
A long time ago I started working on this mini garden,...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™