draecena marginata roots visible on surface

sevrelJanuary 28, 2014

Hi all. Tried to post a message here before but it doesn't seem to have gone through. I recently purchased a marginata which I watered for the first time over the weekend. I was told to water heavily and let it drain, which is what I did. Afterwards, though, I noticed a tangled network of thin roots visible on the surface. It looks like a lot of roots are now exposed. Is this normal or something I need to be concerned about? I was told the plant would not need to be repotted for a couple of years but do have a larger pot available if anyone thinks repotting advisable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
verlow

Maybe just add a layer of soil on top, if you can, to cover up those roots. If there are roots sticking out of the bottom of the container, then it's probably time for a bigger pot.

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 1:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Roots on the surface are not a problem, unless they signify there is no more room in soil below for roots to colonize. As roots close to the stem age and grow, they change function from roots that gather water and dissolved nutrients, to roots that support the plant (anchor/prop roots) and roots that serve as plumbing (water/ nutrient transport to the top of the plant and photosynthate/ other biocomponnds from the top to roots. It's a normal part of the aging process.

Your plant needs repotting (different than potting up) when the root/ soil mass reaches the point where it can be lifted from the pot intact. If you pot up BEFORE your plant gets to that point, there is no need to repot, but once the roots congestion reaches that point where roots/soil can be removed from the pot in a solid mass, potting up ensures your plant will be limited by root congestion until you fix it. That said, it's better to wait until summer to repot, and to put your plant on a schedule that sees it getting repotted every 1st, 2nd, or 3rd summer at the longest.

Al

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
Febuary Flowers
This is my month!! I finally have a decent amount of...
teengardener1888
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™