When to plant turnips in zone 8?

jennieboyer(8)July 18, 2014

Hi All,

I am starting a late summer garden now and will be doing a fall/winter garden a well. When do/can I plant turnips?

Also, when are sweet potatoes and regular potatoes? I think they are spring? How to I start them?

Thanks!

Jennie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

I am in 8b SE Ga. What zone 8 are you? just planted sweet potatoes this week. Regular potatoes get planted Feb. 14 here. Turnips are a cool weather crop.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:45PM
rachlj(8a PNW)

I'm in 8a (Pacific NW) and plant fall/winter turnips at the end of this month (July) or early August, depending on the weather. I never grow a summer crop because of root maggots. I hate messing with row covers, so I don't bother and keep my turnip growing to early spring and fall/winter. Just Right is the variety I grow for fall/winter, and I highly recommend it for growing in this area.

As for potatoes and sweet potatoes...I can't be of much help. This is my first season growing potatoes (I planted mine at the end of April) and I've never given sweet potatoes a try. I do believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) that depending on where you are and what your late summer and fall seasons are like, you may still be able to give a fast maturing spud a shot. If you have a rainy season coming up in the next few months, then it's probably not a good time to plant spuds. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 5:18PM
farmerdill

In this part of Georgia turnips can be planted late August until October 15. Irish potatoes early February. Sweet potatoes should transplanted in May although sometimes I plant in late April. June is about the latest.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:40PM
shermthewerm(8 PNW)

I'm in Portland, OR (8b), and I planted turnips, carrots, and daikon radish last weekend.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™