My cucumbers growing (pics)

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)July 23, 2012

I have SALAD BUSH CUCUMBERS growing in this planted bowl. You can't see but it has lots of cukes.

The rest of my cucumbers are growing on two trellis set up on my backyard in the middle of the main path that runs thru my daylily garden.

Goes to show you that you can always squeeeze some veggies in if you want them in your garden. I have BURPLESS, STRAIGHT EIGHT, MARKETMORE, PALACE KING, CHINA LONG and ARMENIAN Cucumbers planted along there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbeth_pa

Wow! Looks great and it looks like you like a lot of cukes! You must do a lot of pickling! I like the kind you have int the container. i might try that next yr! Doing the trellises is the best way to go w/ the cukes, imo!

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 6:32PM
albertar(z7 LINY)

looking good Rita, :)

Alberta

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 7:28AM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

lisbeth, I always grow them up on a trellis to keep them off the ground. You can grow lots more this way and it keeps the cukes away from the slugs.

I have so many as I am trying the chinese cucumbers for the first time this year but still wanted to grow my old favorites, just in case. But I will have lots to share with neighbors and friends.

Alberta, thanks. Those cukes vines have really taken off this year.

The chinese cucumbers have set fruit but it is still small. Supposed to stay skinny but get nice and long. Funny looking things!

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 12:49PM

I just went outside and really quick cut back and pulled up my Armenian Cucumber vines. No fruit set yet and there were not many of this type so it was easy. I noticed a few days ago a leaf on them with mildew. Today noticed more leaves with the mildew spots and very noticable. So out they came. I don't want to deal with mildew and I don't want my other cukes to come down with it.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 6:58PM
DFW_Gardener(7b)

I wish my cucumbers did half as well as yours, but they were total failures.

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:09PM

Picked cucumbers today.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 8:35PM
foolishpleasure

I am going to grow cucumber in pots next year. I have lots of garden land but all my cucumber died because some thing killing the stem at the soil level I tried every thing and nothing worked. By growing it in pots I can control which soil I use. I a frustrated.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 1:56AM
chaman(z7MD)

Very nice pics.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 10:14AM

Picking lots of cucumbers. I have Burpless, Marketmore, Straight Eight, Palace King and one China Long Cucumbers there.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 2:33PM
soilent_green

Very nice. Congrats on your success. If you could offer some opinions on your cucumber varieties regarding production, flavor, etc. I would appreciate it. Which variety is your favorite?

-Tom

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 4:42PM

I have grown the Burpless for years and just love them. They grow big and long (you can see them 18 inches in the pictures) but stay nice and tender. The Straight Eight are new for me this year. Really great cucumbers. Look great, taste great. Marketmores an old variety that I don't know why I planted this year. They are ok, but not exciting. And not in the pictures, I also planted SALAD BUSH (in a pot) which I like because the vines stay small but put out lots of nice size and taste cutcumbers. Just don't plant the Salad Bush with the others as those other vines would swallow them. I plan to have Salad Bush, Straight Eight and my favorite Burpless all back next year.

I also tried the asian China Long and Palace King Cucumbers this year. Can't stand the CHINA LONGs as I can't stand to look at the ugly things what with that bumpy skin and lots of spines. Honestly, if I peel and cut them up, I can't tell them apart from my others so it is just a visual thing. But they will not be back next year.

Palace Kings make really nice looking and tasting cukes. Probably be back.

Palace King in first picture. 2nd picture Burpless. Third picture Straight Eight on top, Marketmore on bottom. Last picture the Burpless with a China Long.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 5:44PM
azzure08

my plant is just getting around to growing female flower and I need to hand pollinate for lack of bees I think I just have one dedicated bee lol.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 7:21PM

I have lots of bees. Honeybees and bumble bees both like the cucumber flowers.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 9:01PM

Todays cucumber harvest! The odd looking one at the bottom is one of the CHINA LONG Cucumbers.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 2:14PM

Cucumbers I picked yesterday. That longest one is over 20 inches!

These China Long type of the chinese cucumbers I picked today.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 12:58PM
ltilton

It's been a terrible year for mildews. Your vines look very healthy.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 1:03PM
2ajsmama

I agree, terrible year for mildew, even my supposedly-resistant Little Leaf has it now :( but last year when it was so wet they didn't (?)!

Are Chinese longs resistant? How do the plants look?

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 7:46AM

The vines all looked great way back when but no longer. The chineses cukes got the mildew the worst and really, really look bad but the cucumbers are still coming.

My regular cukes don't have as much mildew but there is some when most years there is none. But lots of rain this year for sure. But they keep pumping out the cucumbers.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:53AM
Daniel_NY(7a)

CUCUMBERS: Salad, Straight Eight, Sweet Burpless, Sweet Slice, Sweter Yet, Tasty Jade.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 11:07PM

That's an interesting way that you trellis them to keep slightly off ground. Me I do it the vertical way. Easier to pick.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 1:19PM
Daniel_NY(7a)

The cucumbers area is in the front of my house and I didn,t want problems with the village by placing the trellis vertically. But I,m sure, cucumbers can grow on vertical trellis too.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 5:16PM

Oh yes, they do climb really well.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 5:49PM
Daniel_NY(7a)

any problem with a HEAVY 15 in. cuke?

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 7:19PM

I do get lots of big ones. No problem as long as you have strong netting. Much of the trellis netting is too flimsey and only good for things like beans.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 7:48PM
lizbeth_pa

Are you still getting a lot of nice big ones there? Yours looked so great! Mine were pretty good til about toward the end of July, they either got the PM or got the cuke beetle! Anyway, I got pretty many before they started dying off. Next yr, I plan to start a new crop midway thru the summer so that I can keep them coming! I learn new things every yr and each yr has it's own challenges w/ the weather. Last yr, too wet here, this yr, too hot and too warm early in the spring and summer! Then we had the mini drought period. But we are above avg for rainfall in this area now so we're ok in that regard!
I love everyone's trellises here and will build better ones for next yr!

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 8:44PM

If your asking me, yes mine are still producing well. Looking ratty but still pumping out those cucumbers.

Picture of the last batch I picked which were from my China Long Cucumbers.

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 9:42PM

Well, I can see that the cucumber vines are really coming near to the end of production. I was able to get a nice harvest again today (and I have been picking steadily) and there are still more coming to pick. But after those I don't know if there will be any more as the vines are really ragged looking by now. Can't complain, it was a great year.

At least I got my cucumbers picked and then was picking some tomatoes when it started to rain. Had to hussle and get myself and my veggies inside.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 1:26PM

Latest Cucumbers.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 5:03PM

This is just about the end of them. I will be pulling out the vines this week.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 3:49PM

I was going to pull up the cucumber vines today but much to my surprise not only did I find still find cucumbers to pick but there are still more comming. So the vines stay for a while still. They sure do look ratty.

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 4:11PM

The cucumbers lasteed longer thus year than I ever thought they would but I finially pulled them out yesterday. I had picked cucumbers Saturday and figgured that was the end of them so decided to pull them out Sunday. So I did. Pulled them out by the roots. But much to my surprise I found plenty of cucumbers on them to pick as I was cutting down the vines. So I have some cucumbers to eat up.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 12:34PM
perezjuanf(10a)

I have been able to grow 3 cucumbers plants in a box and the first two fruits are grown with other showing, how can I know that it is time to cut the fruits? How long does cucumbers vines continuo producing?

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 1:30PM
livelydirt(Zn 4, Lively, ON)

Perez... Wow, Zn 10a, Do you ever get killing frost? Leave the vines in until they die or quit setting fruit. You might want to consider succession planting in your climate so you have more active fruit production.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 9:29AM
qibu

pls help all my cucumbers are getting these white spots and then getting rot what causes it?? pls help..also the leaves in the lowerpart of the plant is totally yellow..and some leaves are getting yellow lines as if an earthworm is on it...

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:50AM
qibu

see the leaves..i am a new gardner..

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 12:54AM

The little lines looks like Leaf Miner damage.Unless you get a lot of them, they probably won't hurt your harvest. The yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant normally indicates low nitrogen. Try adding Blood Meal or Alfalfa Meal or compost/manure tea. The white patches seem to be some type of blight that I can't help you with. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:07AM
qibu

thanx for the reply.....but where can I get these thing u have mentioned (new gardener)...what do u mean by compost manure tea??and blood meal and alfalfa meal I stay in UAE do we get these out here?/..anyways I will check out...I got these seeds from ACE...

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 12:22AM
caryltoo Z7/SE PA

I would ask about the blood meal or alfalfa meal at ACE. You can google compost or manure tea and find different recipes for making it.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:29AM

Enter Compost Tea in the search box at the top of this page. Make sure it is searching GardenWeb.... lots of articles.

Bookmark   April 5, 2013 at 7:49AM
qibu

thanks..but what abt the white patch doesn't anyone know what to do for that...even the smallest cucumbers getting it and also turning yellow when small...

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
Storing onion sets
I purchased a bag of onion sets for growing as green...
rgress
What's Growing On Inside This Winter
Been getting all my vegetables started for my spring/summer...
onkloudnyne
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Sponsored Products
Grow Big Hydro Liquid Concentrate - FX14013
$228.00 | Hayneedle
Pro Track Orb 12 1/2" Wide Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Troy Barbell Supra Cable Cable Attachment - SBTB-10
$99.53 | Hayneedle
Design Toscano Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane Sculpture - KY1342
$225.87 | Hayneedle
Hospitality Rattan Cancun Palm Arch Wall Mirror - TC Antique - 401-5303-TCA
$199.00 | Hayneedle