Watermelon leaves turning yellow

fritz_monroe(7a)July 21, 2008

I have some small varieties of watermelon growning in big containers. One variety is has all the leaves turning yellow. I planted these in Miracle Grow potting mix. Can anyone suggest a reason that this could be happening? Am I missing any certain nutrient?

If it matters, the variety that is doing well is Cream of Saskatchewan. The one that is not doing well is Golden Midget. They are planted in 2 identical 18 gallon containers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Golden Midget like most of the yellow (pumpkin rind) melons has a tendency for the yellowing to extend to the vines. Yellow vines and some yellowing of the leaves is normal.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 6:20PM
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

Thanks for the info Farmerdilla! My Golden Midget looked very yellow the other day and I gave it a blast of organic fertilizer to help it along. Good to know that the yellow was normal for this variety, and I'm sure the fertilizer didn't hurt.

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 10:17PM
fritz_monroe(7a)

When first posting, I was also concerned that there was a single melon growing. Every time a female flower would be ready to open, the fruit would turn yellow and the flower would die.

Looks like it wasn't an issue. I now have about 5 or 6 little melons started on the vines.

Thanks for the info, I won't worry about the leaves turning yellow.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™