Gloxinia

garyfla_gw(10 Florida)February 15, 2013

hi
Though I grow most of my plants in pots the only one in the house is a Gloxinia. has florished sitting on top of an aquarium with only a canopied north window as light source . It willl not stop flowering!!! Has grown so leggy it can't support the weight . Should I cut it off or put it outside to experience some cold?? I love the flowers and don't want to kill it . any suggestions?? I alwys thought they went dormant after flowering?? Thanks gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

'Leggy' implies lack of light. This added to bottom heat (from the aquarium) would lead to etiolation. Is there somewhere a little brighter (but not in the sun) you could put it? I don't know what 'cold' would be in Florida at the moment but Gloxinias (Sinnigia) want to be between 65 and 85f.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 12:11PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
It has been in continuous flower since early sept. Leaves are as big as my hand and very plush. It is becoming top heavy due to the constant flowering If not getting enough light sure not acting like it. Produces 4 flowers 5 inches accross and grows new ones at the same time. The room is maintained at a constant 75.
Is there no way to induce dormancy?? i'm thinking a temp shift,withhold water?? maybe just whack it off ??
I would like to save it as it's gorgeous Thanks gary

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 6:39PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Gary,

There is no need to force this gloxinia into dormancy. It's not like an amarillis, where one forces it into dormancy to make it bloom again. Gloxinias will put themselves into dormancy all by themselves. If you would like to get the plant to look better again it's best to prune it back to about an inch above the ground making sure that there is a growth node present. The plant will grow from there. Some people will take the bulb out, clean it up and put it back into the ground, completely severing the stem from the bulb in the process. I find that I have much more success leaving a little bit of stem.

As Flora said, the reason the gloxinia is leggy is because they need a lot of light. Don't be afraid to put it in direct sunlight. I would get it used to the direct sunlight first or you may sunburn the plant.

I hope this helps.

Larry

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:50PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

PS: you can also root the tip of the part you cut off and start a new gloxinia.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 3:51PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
So i can just whack it off without killing it?? It has become so heavy it is pulling the bulb out of the pot lol my other gesneriads are grown in the shadehouse exposed to weather change they are all winter dormant.
Really don't have room for it in the fish/frost room
so it may go into the shadehouse anyway Another of those plants my wife brought home on a whim!! thanks for the info!! gary

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 5:25AM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Yup, cut away. It won't hurt it.

Larry

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™