Dracaena ID and repotting help

Corry_EngelbrechtFebruary 17, 2013

Hi all! This was given to me several years ago by a former co-worker. I still keep it here at work, and it's grown a ton since then and sprouted three babies.

I *think* it's a Janet Craig? But I'm just not sure. Can you help me positively ID it?

Also, it has two pups (had three, another co-worker asked to take one a couple of years ago) and hasn't been repotted in oh, going on three years? So it's definitely due. I'm still deciding on this, but I kindof like the way it looks with the pups at the base. It's much more full, and without them that's going to be a bare stem. Is it ok to repot it and keep them there? Or should I absolutely remove them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Corry_Engelbrecht

Brighter and closer up.,

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:48AM
Corry_Engelbrecht

And a shot of the pups and stem/trunk.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:53AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Looks like a Janet Craig compacta, a fantastic looking one! No need to remove the offshoots unless you want to.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 11:33AM
Corry_Engelbrecht

Thank you! Is there anyone else who would like to back that up?

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:42PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Purple is very knowledgeable about houseplants, Dracaenas included, so you don't necessarily need someone else to back her opinion up. But, if you really want a second opinion, you don't have to separate the offshoots, the Mama and pups will be fine either way. As you stated, it will be a bare stem without the pups. I would repot in the Spring as you are correct, it's due for a repot.

Planto

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 7:09PM

Thanks, Planto, but it looks like Corry's caught on to my clandestine conspiracy to try to kill his/her plant. Cat's out of the bag, oops! I'll try to be more sly on the next victim...

Smiles!

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 9:51AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Purple,
Smiles ;)

Planto

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 5:25PM
Corry_Engelbrecht

Oh, no no! Please don't think my request was anything against purple! I just wanted to be really sure! Thank you!

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:24PM
Corry_Engelbrecht

Oh, also, I'm a 'her'. I know, hard to tell with the name. :P

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 2:26PM

Corry, I actually cracked up, thought it was funny. I admire when somebody says what's on their mind. And a little sass keeps things lively, I go there often. I don't blame you for not automatically trusting some stranger "out there" who happens to know how to type. Like that commercial "they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true." Don't we all wish this were so?!! You go girl!

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 3:07PM
plantomaniac08(8)

Corry,
No hard feelings. :) Oops, you know what they say about assuming things, I thought you were a guy too.

Planto

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 5:30PM
Corry_Engelbrecht

Trust me, after 30 years of this name, I take NO offense to anyone thinking I'm a guy. I don't have the highest pitched voice for a female, either, so if I'm even *slightly* sick, customer service people on the phone call me Mr. *siiiiigh* At least I'll know never to name any future children I may have a unisex name! :P

Anyway, back on topic, I'm repotting my dracaena tonight, and I think I'll keep all the pups together. I really don't need to take one home. I have way too many plants ! :P Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 1:55AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Corry,
Sure thing. :) I fan relate with the voice... had strep throat (well, even with just a cold), and I sounded like a guy.

Planto

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 8:12AM

Sweet. Sending good vibes to you and your plant(s)!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Satus Update!
It was 52 degrees yesterday, and in my yard I found...
Rhamel(teengardener1888)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™