Can anyone tell me about these bug eggs

TxGardener721July 28, 2014

I noticed these eggs on the stem of my bottle gourd plant. Can anyone tell what are these eggs and how to eliminate them

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Well, I can safely say that to eliminate the eggs, rub a paper towel across the stem.
As far as eliminating the insects that laid them, options vary between organic methods and chemicals.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:30PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Are they hurting anything? Doing any damage? If not why worry about them? They may be very beneficial insects.

But yeah if they bother you for some reason then just wipe them off the stem. No need to bring out any big guns.

Dave

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:55PM
PeaRodz

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with these types of spots/marks on lettuce leaves. I'm growing Queensland Lettuce, and it's been raining a lot in muggy Miami. I'm very familiar with leafminers, but these don't look like trails...they're more like little splotches, yellow or light green in appearance. It's extremely consistent, on all my lettuce and even arugula. I can't seem to figure out if it's insect or fungus related. More importantly, are my leaves still edible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aside from this, the leaves seem happy and are growing nicely.

Thanks,
P

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:22PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Not eggs - they're scale.

Al

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:25PM
TxGardener721

Yes they are hurting I think. when these become adults, poking my gourds and egg plant. some leaves turning into brown and dying.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:42PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

That looks more like fruit abortion in the pic from lack of sufficient pollination. Al ID it as scale and is right on I think but again is only a problem if there is a serious infestation. Scale insects can be rubbed off or dabbed with rubbing alcohol.

Dave

PeaRodz - your is a totally different issue. The pic is over exposed but it looks like powdery mildew if white, Downey Mildew if yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scale Insect Control

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:17PM
PeaRodz

@Digdirt, thanks for the response. Yeah, it must be the picture...it's definitely not mildew, and it doesn't come off. It's almost like a discoloration. It might've just photographed that way. It's kind of a tricky trait to capture in a photo. In any case, I did some more research and it's either sun stress or Thrip damage. By the way, sorry I posted on this thread....It's my first time posting and I somehow ended up posting to someone's else thread. Thanks!! P

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:12PM
ange2006

I had something similar about 2 weeks ago. A little after I took the photo, my garden was covered with pigweed flea beetles. At that time I just assumed that those were pigweed flea beetle eggs. Anyone has any idea?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:07AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Looks like eggs to me...one of the squash bug species. I'll see if I can find a picture.

Okay...I found a web site with a good image; be sure to click on the picture to enlarge it for comparison.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lookee here

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:02PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

TxGardener, did you look at the images of the eggs to compare with what you have?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 7:20PM
ccabal(7)

They look like squash bug (stink-bug) eggs to me. Pick them off and crush them against a piece of wood or something else hard.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 11:52PM
More Discussions
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™