Water beads & houseplants
I have done several different versions of using water beads with house plants. The best way that I've found is to put a few water beads in the bottom, top with a layer of stones, topped with sand and then the potting soil. This allows the plant to get the nutrients from the soil and the sand/stone mix works as a filter to keep the water beads clean. The problem that I've had (with only one of these setups) is that the water beads became ammoniated and killed the plant. I didn't know what killed the plant until I dumped the container out and the strong stench of ammonia filled my kitchen. Does anyone have any ideas about what could have caused this?