When to start fall crops in Los Angeles, CA?

alrightypewriter(9b)July 30, 2009

When should someone in LA start their fall crops and how late can you plant seeds and transplants? I'm growing in an Earthbox and got a late start on the summer crops. Pollination has also been slow so my butternut squash may not be ready until late September. :-\

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zebraman

It depends where you are at in LA. I am near the beach and west of Lincoln blvd. I still have tomatoes and peppers ripening in late Dec. and early Jan. I have some planted and some that I am waiting for the daytime temps to drop a little.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 5:43PM
ancfan

I'm in central cali in the foothills, I won't be starting for fall crops until late sept or early oct (depends on course of the weather) I will be direct planting

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 5:58PM
ania_ca

I'm planting brussel sprouts inside now to prepare for planting them out in Septemeber. I'm planting all my other fall crops in September. Maybe early Oct. for the onions.

I'm in LA county as well, but inland in the Santa Clarita valley. If you are closer to the ocean, it makes a difference too.

Ania

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 6:55PM
alrightypewriter(9b)

I'm right on the border between Atwater Village and Glendale. So definitely more inland. I just want to make sure I have enough time to do cool weather crops, but it always feels warm from what I can remember. I want to grow leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, and some lettuces all from seeds. So maybe October would be okay to plant?

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 2:43PM
walkinggin

For fall crops I have a difficult time keeping seeds that are sown close to the surface evenly moist until they germinate. I wait for cooler fall weather before I start lettuce because it struggles in the heat and dry Santa Ana'a and struggling lettuce is not worth eating.

Broccoli and cauliflower can be started now indoors to transfer out in sept.

I am going to try leeks for the first time this year too and they supposedly germinate at temp 50 to 75 degrees so I plan to direct sow them at the same time as the lettuce- mid/late Oct.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 7:02PM
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

Here is a website that I refer to when planting vegetables. It was very confusing when I first started gardening here, but this has worked well in the So. Cal., San Diego, Sunset zone 23-24 area.

www.digitalseed.com/gardener/schedule/vegetable.html
Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™