How to grow cilantro indoors

CourtneyB123July 13, 2014

I'm new to this but I want to grow some cilantro indoors...any tips or advice to how I should do this or what I need? Please feel free to be as detailed as possible, because right now I have no clue how I should go about this, how much light it needs, if indoors will be too cold, or what type of soil mix! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Your best place to start is by reviewing the FAQs over on the Growing from Seed forum here. They cover all the basics on potting mixes, containers, watering, lights, feeding, etc.

Don't know how indoors could be too cool but better cool than too warm as it bolts when too warm.. But like any houseplant it will need good lighting.

You might also check in with the folks over on the Herbs forum for any special tips they may have,

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQs: Growing from Seed

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:43PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Unless you have absolutely no alternative, growing any herbs indoors is not the best option. There is insufficient light unless you have artificial lighting. Watering becomes an issue and there is also the question of an appropriate potting medium. Pests are worse since there is no rain and wind to dislodge things like aphids. So, if you have any outside space at all, even a windowsill, I would grow my Cilantro there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cilantro threads on Herbs Forum

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:02AM
djkj(9b)

You can grow them indoors next to a kitchen window sill. Try using a self watering container (they sell them here at Walmart).

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow Cilantro

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Looking for Actaea 'Black Negligee' seeds
Anybody has Avtaea 'Black Negliee' seeds for postage...
jennyleerskov
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes Anyone ever try these?...
fresc1000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™