What veggies can I grow in the fall in zone 6?

Naturalchick27(6)July 22, 2011

I plan on building 1 or 2 raised beds at the end of summer. What veggies can I plant? I have lettuce, salad greens and spinach seeds. I would like to grow onions and broccoli as well if it isn't too late

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

For fall, I go with radishes, kholrabi, carrots, and peas. However, outside of the radishes, which only take a few weeks, you may want to get rolling on the beds right now. For what it's worth, I am in zone 4/5, kind of right on the border, so I err on the low side at 4. I plan to sow my sugar snap peas and kholrabi in mid to late August, and radishes will be successively planted starting in late August up until it gets too cold, which can sometimes be as late as November. I dunno what "end of summer" constitutes for you, but technically speaking, that'd be the fall equinox in September, which is pretty late.

Joe

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 9:23PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In addition to the lettuces and spinach, winter onion plants if you start the seeds now. Try a short day variety like Granex. Broccoli again if you start the seeds now so the plants will be ready to set out as soon as the beds are made. Brussel sprouts and beets too.

Dave

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 9:24PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Zone 6 here--you can plant winter lettuces as late early September, and spinach a little after that. But that's pretty much all. Other fall and winter crops must be started now or soon--beets, carrots, collards and kale now; turnips, Asian radishes and escaroles in early August. Savoy cabbages will go in next week, but they were started in flats in June.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 6:46AM
Naturalchick27(6)

Thnks for the suggestions! I went ahead and threw a few spinach seeds in pots few days ago and they are already sprouting!

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 8:49PM
More Discussions
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™