Croton ID?

zusyaFebruary 7, 2013

Hello houseplant friends! Haven't been here in a while, hope you all are well.

Yesterday I bought a gorgeous croton. The leaves are variegated with ONLY green and white. Can anyone help me ID the hybrid? Mostly bold variegation, some little flecks of green on white, white on green as well. Looks a lot like the leaves of a variegated rusty fig (ficus rubiginosa).

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We would like to see an image or two.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:25PM
zusya

Think I may have found it, looks like it's codiaeum "Andrew." Anyone have experience with this one?

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:44AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Well it seems you have an unusual or newer plant, Zusya. Saw this pic when you put it up and I've never seen it before. If I see one out there, I'd have to have it, even if 32 people had jumped in here to talk about the ones they have. Would you mind saying where you got it?

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 10:00AM
zusya

Happily, purpleinopp! I love sharing this kind of info with other plant nerds like me!

I got in at Sprout Home in Chicago. A lovely little store. However, I'm pretty sure they order a lot of their stock from Ted's in Tinley Park. Like most garden centers in the city, they stock from Ted's but leave the Ted's tags in the pot, so it's easy to see you could just go to the source and get one that hasn't been marked up in price.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 10:40AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Interesting, thanks. I prefer a single-type store too, but they are harder to research, as far as their plants and where they came from. If you visit Ted's website and search Croton, it says they have one called Firestorm. But googling that didn't result in pics of plants like yours...

What about the 2nd-to-last pic at this page, THAMARA? The plant with the same name at this site looks a little different to me. Unfortunately, I don't read French.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 11:47AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Now, if only they can breed one that is immune to spider mites....

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:34PM
gregsytch(z9b Tampa Bay)

I have that one in my yard! Now I know the name. It is about chest high and a little slimmer around. Croton 'Andrew' it is! Thanks! Greg in Tampa Bay

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Unknown house plant
I bought this Exotic Angel plant at Home Depot and...
bouldergrower
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™