Cucumbers w/ mildew? Pic

changingitup(8 PDX)July 27, 2014

Does this look like powdery mildew? If not, any ideas on what it is? Should I just cut off the infected leaves and see if it spreads? Or should I pull the plants BEFORE it spreads? These are lemon cucumbers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

It's powdery mildew. Cut off the worst affected leaves and do a search here for fungicides to use. Once you've got it you can only control it. Preventative spraying is the key.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 6:11PM
changingitup(8 PDX)

Thanks! I've just read milk and water or baking soda and water. I'll do some more research. They are about 3 feet away from my other cuke plants which look fine. Should I just pull the infected ones? From what I read it sounds like the spores are probably all over now so should I start preventative on the uninfected ones? By the way, when it's said preventative, do gardeners treat before there are signs of it just because they know it's a possibility?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:08PM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

No need to pull the entire plant out unless it's severely covered with PM, and it doesn't look that way in the photo. Just cut the worst leaves. Yes, spray all your plants. And yes, that's what I meant by preventative. If you know you have a history with PM then it's essential that you start spraying before it shows up (this is an important thing to note for next year).

Rodney

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:22PM
springtogarden(6)

I spray before hand because it is almost a guarantee that cucurbits will get PM so as a preventative, to hopefully avoid it, I spray with 20% whole raw milk and the rest water when they are seedlings (about 4 weeks old) and then after they are planted and again every two weeks or after it rains. Some people also use baking soda and others use potassium bicarbonate which is similar to baking soda. Raw milk works best for me. If only a few leaves have it, I snip them and spray the others. The only problem with snipping is that you can only snip so many leaves and then your fruit risks scald. Whether you decide to keep the infected one or not, I would definitely spray all cucumber plants that don't appear to be infected. Spray entire plant, tops and bottoms. If you have squash, pumpkins and melons, I'd spray them too. Good luck and hope you can maintain your plants and get lots of cukes!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:28PM
changingitup(8 PDX)

Thanks! I will add spraying to the routine starting today. Glad to hear they aren't lost ;)

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™