price of aloe veras at walmart?

Cupcake_GirlFebruary 17, 2012

Hi I recently discovered all the wonderful health benefits of aloe veras. I recieved one from a friend but it is only a small pup. In the mean time I'd like a larger one to consume. Do anyone know how much they sell at walmart? That is the closest store near me. Thank you so much! I'm new and hope to meet knew friends and learn more :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hi and Welcome, Cupcake,

All Walmart's differ. Some Walmart's sell Aloes, some do not.

Our closest Walmart doesn't sell as many plants as they did before remodeling...
When they did, prices ran according to pot size.
One year they had tiny Aloe's, 'basically pups' for 1.25.

Do you live near a Home Depot? Last week they had 4" Aloes for 4.99. Toni

Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 11:37AM
Cupcake_Girl

I do live near Home Depot but they charge 10$ for the 4" aloes :(

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 11:54AM
zone 8(Zone 8)

Hi Cupcake, I have a bunch of Aloes. Will send for the price of postage. How many do you want?

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 11:59AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Cupcake,

I thought you wrote 'to consume', really? Not sure, but if you plan on EATING it, I wouldn't use one which wasn't by a nursery, w/ a definite id. Still, not thinking this is a great idea.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 1:02PM
birdsnblooms

Cupcake, 10.00!!!??? That's absurd.
Perhaps they'll go on sale? Sometimes, when plants sit, prices are reduced.

Unless you can find an Aloe that fits your budget, maybe you should stick with the pup your friend gave you.

With proper care, lots of light, before you know it, you'll have a good-size Aloe.

Or, Larry made you a great offer. Depending on the amount/weight, shipping costs are more reaasonable than spending 10+ at HD.

Aside from using Aloe for burns what other health benefits does it have? Toni

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 1:45PM
zone 8(Zone 8)

Aloe has many health benefits. Google it. You can drink it, eat it, rub it on. But, there is only one that you can use like that. And it is the most common of all. A friend use to sell it by the gallon to drink. I never drank it. Never thought I needed it. But there are people who sware by it.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 6:33PM
summersunlight(5b)

Be careful with consumption of Aloe. There is some info out there that suggests it could have health risks. If you know about that and you're ok with the risk that's fine, but I wanted to make sure you knew about it.

Here's what the American Cancer Society says about it:

The use of aloe on the skin for the relief of minor cuts and burns appears to be safe. Some people who have used aloe gel on their skin for long periods of time have had allergic reactions such as hives and rashes. Those who are allergic to garlic, onions, tulips, and similar plants may be more likely to have an allergic reaction to aloe.

There are mixed reports about the safety of taking aloe internally. Part of the confusion is that safety outcomes may be different depending on whether a person took pure aloe gel, aloe latex, or used aloe leaves that contained both gel and latex. Not all reports single out which type of aloe preparation was used, so this information is limited.

One report suggested that aloe taken by mouth might increase cancer risk to humans. Side effects of taking aloe by mouth may include abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, and electrolyte (chemical) imbalance in the blood, especially at high doses. It should not be used as a laxative. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not take aloe by mouth.

Doctors around the world have reported a few cases of hepatitis (liver inflammation) in people who had taken aloe by mouth for a few weeks or longer. Some of these people had to be hospitalized, but no deaths were reported. Aloe injections are illegal in the United States, and may have caused or contributed to the deaths of several people with cancer. Taking aloe by mouth may cause dangerous interactions with prescription drugs and with other herbal supplements.

Relying on this type of treatment alone and avoiding or delaying conventional medical care for cancer may have serious health consequences.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Cancer Society's page on aloe

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
What is the difference between solid green and Hawaiian spider plant?
Hi everyone, i'm in the market for a solid green spider...
Diana Kilgannon
Desert Rose That Will Not Bloom
I have a desert rose that is roughly 4 or 5 years old....
Tiffany Martin
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Recommended general fertilizer for house plants?
I have a few different green leafy things, random cuttings,...
sunnyvalley
Sponsored Products
Designers Fountain 4414 Value Bath/Vanity 4 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish Mult
$59.50 | Hayneedle
Cal Lighting Croby Brushed Steel Floor Lamp
$145.20 | LuxeDecor
Braxton Leather Sofa - Brighton Parrot Red
Joybird Furniture
Pamela Dining Chair
| Italy Design
Armen Living Black Leather Swivel Club Chair
Beyond Stores
Home Decorators Collection Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces Kingston Bronze
$74.00 | Home Depot
Illumine Posts 1-Light Outdoor Black Warehouse Shade Post Light CLI-484