how often do you water sweet potatoes?

michelelcJuly 16, 2012

We haven't had rain in about 2 wks. We aren't in a drought like many others, but it is dry. I am growing sweet potatoes for the second year. Last year we had more rain and I rarely watered. This year I am growing with black plastic for the first time. I am wondering how often I should be watering? Right now, I pour about half a watering can of water through the slit of each plant about once a week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

While it is extra dry, they need more water. Also the temperature figures into things here. Plastic holds in moisture...for a while. Then it is drier under nonirrigated plastic...very dry. I hold the hose under the plastic hole where the plants are for about 10 seconds on each hole every 3 days or less.

Later when the roots are sizing up and nearer harvest, lighten up on water so as to not encourage fungal disease on the roots.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 7:21PM
michelelc

Thanks Wayne! I will be out there tomorrow watering. I like your way of sticking the hose under the plastic instead of my way of filling a watering can 10 times, very tedious.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:13PM
lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)

I am growing sweet potatoes for the first time. Our weather, which features cool nights, makes this difficult. I am growing them under a small plastic tunnel which I close at night to preserve heat.

I have read the SP should be watered with warm water. The shock of cold water, even in a climate such as yours, will set them back. I am accomplishing this by watering from a long hose left in the sun.

My plants are well behind yours. They are just beginning to take off. Good luck to you...it looks like you have a fine patch!

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 10:48AM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

My sweetpotatoes generally need set back then as they tend to get too big.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 3:14PM
caosesvida(zone 7 del.)

I have not found much on the amount of water needed. like 1" every two weeks or 1" a week. Is there any guidelines , not finding it on the web. should you wait till they get a littly wilty looking? thanks for any help. They started looking a little limp but we did get some rain this week and now they look Ok. I want to put soaker hose down the row and give controlled watering. Thanks for any help

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:04AM
jolj(7b/8a)

I like wayne_5, watering plan.
But I watered my ST twice a week with the tomatoes.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 3:04PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I tend to think they don't need much water. I've grown them twice. This year I have a small patch, and they're growing under black landscape fabric. It's been hot and dry here too, but I haven't watered them much at all, and they haven't wilted and seem to be growing well as ever. Since I read this thread a few days ago, I gave them more water.....the warm water from the hose sitting in the sun. What's nice about the fabric is that the water soaks right through.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
Too many seeds, not enough light
Right now, have basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary,...
ilovecucumbers
Greenland Gardener Raised Garden Kit
Picked up 2 of these from Walmart yesterday to grow...
onkloudnyne
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
Sponsored Products
Elements Perry Oversized Floor Cushion - 19-24147MIN
$33.69 | Hayneedle
Banyon Textured Black Finish One Light Outdoor Wall Sconce with Clear Water Glas
$37.99 | Bellacor
Hampton Bay Cushions Midori Outdoor Chair Cushion (2-Pack) 7348-02000100
$25.96 | Home Depot
Anna Embroidered Ikat Throw Pillow
Grandin Road
Nadia 13-Light Chrome Finish with Clear-Crystals Pendant
$522.00 | Bellacor
Poly Lumber Elite Comfo-Back Swivel Counter Chair
Fifthroom.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™