Well, that's weird! That's not what I planned.

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)February 28, 2013

I'm expecting some people to have this thought after seeing my post about my plans for putting some house plants in the ground this summer (well, that's weird!) I don't mind.

What have you seen that's weird regarding house plants?
What plans have gone differently?
What's the weirdest thing you've ever done to a plant? (Stories about leaving them outside for winter are a dime'a'dozen, so although those are awesome, please, something more exotic regarding anecdotes.)

The last really "out there" thing I can recall doing is last summer. I have had this beautiful Drac. marginata that I got as a baby, annual "spikes." I watched it grow a beautiful strong trunk for almost 10 years, and 2 secondary tops from the crown.

Then I decided it would look really cool if the tall part was spiraled instead of straight up. So I stuck a coat hanger up through one of the holes in the bottom, and started mangling wiring it with a pretty hard bend very low on the trunk. After a couple weeks, it was staying that way pretty well, so I went in to bend more of it, to get the spiral really going, and snapped the whole thing off. Now it looks like a boy, if you know what I mean...

So now I have a much shorter dual-trunk tree, and tons of little ones around and given away. Not at all bad, but not what I had planned. One might also think the way I planted it a few inches higher to see that awesome crown juncture is weird. I do too, but couldn't resist. A boy needs legs. It's been that way for about 6 months so if it was bothered, the tree would have let me know by now, I think...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Pretty plant Purple

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 2:54PM
sugi_c(9a)

Purple, that looks eye-catching! I have been meaning to add another Dracaena stem or two to my single "tree". Never got around to it but seeing this photo, I'm definitely going to do it. Two looks so much nicer than one. And like the crown sticking out! :-D You're shooting for a Dracaena bonsai there.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 4:01PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Thanks, and thanks!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Why does my anthirium want to commit suicide?
This is my anthirium and it is slowly dying? Judging...
sturmzie
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™