Zone 5 fall veg planting

plantinellen(5)July 30, 2011

We've had a busy summer with a number of unscheduled interruptions in our household...I had wanted to plant some kale and other fall vegetables, but when I read my "Gardening in Michigan" book I got the impression that I'd missed the window for planting many fall cole and root crops. Any advice from other northern gardeners? What, other than lettuce, can I get away with planting now for harvesting in October/November? (I have a floating row cover, BTW.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Joe1980(5)

The way I look at vegetables and what & when to plant, is by looking at the days to harvest number. For example, for summer veggies, I consider the average first frost as the deadline, and count back from there. I planted a 45 day variety of zucchini 3 weeks ago, because I easily have 45 days, plus some. I just planted suger snap peas last weekend, because from my understanding, the plant will grow ok in the heat, but will abort flowers above 80 degrees. With that said, my intention is that it won't be 80 anymore when it's flowering time. Here's what I have planned, and what you can also do.

Sugar snap peas, you can still get them in now.
Kohlrabi, I plan to seed next weekend.
Carrots, if a shorter day variety, but I popped some danvers in 3 weeks ago.
Radishes, which are about 3 weeks from seed to harvest, can go in starting in September, up until it's literally freezing out.
That's all I have planned, but look into lettuce, broccoli, and other cool season crops, and simply follow the seed packet directions. I don't grow those, so I don't have any experience with them. Fall is tricky because it's opposite of spring. For example, with peas, in spring the plants can handle down to 25 degrees, but not the flowers or fruit, so you can plant out early, knowing that it'll be warmer by flowering time. In fall, you can't lag behind, because if you get frosts, you will keep killing the flowers, thus no fruits. Get rolling on them now, because what have you got to lose? Seeds are cheap, and heck, maybe winter will hold off a bit this year, and you could end up with a great fall harvest. Good luck!

Joe

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 6:54PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Just off the top of my head, these are all that you have plenty of time for:
kale
radishes
chinese cabbage
swiss chard
green onions
arugula
mesclun

More iffy would be carrots, beets, broccoli but still possible, I think.
Forget about cauliflower or brussel sprouts.

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 10:10PM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

all of the leafys are good, leaf lettuces, kale, chard, collards, etc.

I think carrots, turnips and beets are quick enough, though they may not get large....

If you can do some protection, like a low hoop, then you can do the longer ones.

Bookmark   July 31, 2011 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Problem Peas - germination
Can anyone advise me on the best way of getting peas...
Steve Kind
Garden Huckleberry
Hey folks, I thought Id mention a new crop which we...
macmex
Unforecasted late frost
I'm pretty much a newbie. I transplanted a yellow...
Katie Gooding
Looking for Artichoke Plant Enthusiasts
I have eight years experience growing artichoke plants...
Pond Plant Girl
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. San Juan 34 in. Bisque Outdoor Table Lam
Home Depot
Marina 3 Piece Outdoor Patio Teak Sofa Set in Natural White
$1,073.00 | LexMod
Square White Ceramic Vessel Sink
TheBathOutlet
All That Glitters is Tiny Gold Containers - Set of 3
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
Generations Champagne Abstract Lolli Rug (7'9 x 10'5)
Overstock.com
Odessa Light Post by Maxim Lighting
$118.00 | Lumens
New Mesa Collection Hand Knotted Kazak 10'x13' Veg Dyed Red/Ivory Wool Rug H3614
BH Sun Inc
Jet Set Giclee Shade 12x12x8.5 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™