Dracaena

gailmaisonFebruary 27, 2013

I have a Dracaena that is starting to flower. Does this mean that it will die after flowering like some (yucca) tropicals do ?? If so, will removing the flower before it is fully blown save the plant ??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Congragulations, they bloom only under decent conditions. Open the windows! The fragrance is overpowering. After flowering, the tops die and the plant grows side shoots

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 2:51PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

You may want to look at this discussion, Gail. Someday I hope to smell one of these famous blooms! Congrats!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 3:25PM
gailmaison

WOW !! How exciting !
This plant is growing in my workplace...I have been the plant caretaker for a year now. I just e-mailed the previous caretaker to see if it ever bloomed before. hoping whe will come over and check it out. We are a large "one room' building...a bus terminal actually.Floor to ceiling windows everywhere. the plant is basically in the middle of the room. It is winter in northern Michigan and the sun is a rare commodity, thoough we've seen more of it this winter than in many previous winters.
Can't wait for the fragrance.!! I am the bldg opener in the morning so I'm waiting for the morning I come in and there it is...the fragrance !!

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:14AM
More Discussions
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Many websites have indoor Azalea care information wrong
From my personal experience, Azalea can adjust to heat...
jujujojo_gw
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™