My Purple Passion plant. Is thsi good growth?

meyermike_1micha(5)February 17, 2013

Hello folks..

I was wondering if this is good growth for this plant since it was in a 4 inch pot and exactly half the size last year.

Is it suppose to be much bigger or is the growth at this pace normal? I've been tenpted to put it outside in the summer, but something tells me it would not be a good idea to grow as an annual in a basket under a tree.

Thank you:-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

That's a good question. I put mine outside in a TON of sun, and it's much more purple, but much less mass also, leaves dying as fast as they grow. I think the soil has broken down more quickly than I anticipated, would have been better if repotted or even just up-potted before coming inside, still in a 4" pot. I'm sure we'd both like to have both - more leaves that are also more purple.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 1:46PM
christine1950

I think yours looks really good, I put one out in the summer & it fried,and it wasnt even in direct sun, I now have great success growing strictly indoors.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 3:45PM
mrlike2u(**)

Inside to out side transition should be easy enough for you, it's the out side to inside later this year that might not go as well.
Looks good now if all grows as expected outside over summer do you have the height or space in the in the hot house for fall ? winter ?

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 11:21PM
garden_love(4)

Ive had one for about 3 years and it grows more viney then bushy. I do not reccomend putting it outside at all. although the more sun it gets the more purple it gets. make sure it gets plenty of light in a nice window. This plant Loves water too. I have had mine near death a few times and learned my lessons. Do going outside, give enough sun and water, and never cut it way down when taking cuttings or pruning it!

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 6:40PM
emerald1951

Hi Mike, your plant looks very healty and pretty...I could never grow one of those....mine away grew spindly and few leaves...good job....linda

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I...
jujujojo_gw
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™