Alocasia Yellowing... Can I stop it from going dormant?

September_JenkinsFebruary 10, 2013

Is there a way to prevent my Alocasia ("African Mask" variety) from going dormant?
I have at least 7 tubers dormant (I assume, no leaves) and I have one I just brought home from the nursery with slight yellowing setting into the leaves. How do I keep the leaves living year round or at least delay the loss?

Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Bright to medium light, warmth, and using a mix that drains freely and that does not allow salt toxicity should do the trick.

Mike:-)

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:06PM
tropicbreezent

I'd agree, keeping it warm with good light, not direct sun. I have a few of these I keep outdoors under the shade of trees. They'll go dormant if they dry out too much, but too wet could make them rot.

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 4:24PM
September_Jenkins

Thanks.
Any way to bring them out of dormancy?

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:26PM
petrushka

i've been reading about it on hardytropicals.co.uk in aroid forum. basically if you put the pot on a heat mat and bag it to incerease humidity - it'll wake up. soil should be at 70F minimum. 70F-90F is fine. i am looking into using regular heating pad for now to wake up the bulbils that i harvested. will be also potting my alocasia polly tubers too soon. but usually people use heating 'propagation' mats.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™