I guess I have a weakness for.......

elkay_gwFebruary 22, 2013

aglaonemas, especially the red and pink ones. Found this in a Lowe's store - not the one I usually go to.......THAT one has the most neglected, awful looking plants I've ever seen. There were two of these, so I took the better looking one. Didn't want the ceramic square outer pot, but that's the way it's sold. I like the plastic pot it's in, it's clear so you can see the outer roots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jduren(5 MO.)

Lowes has been a very good source for odd ball plants. I picked up the pink version for $9.95 vs $19.95 at my local nursery. They also had the sansevieria cylindrica skyline for $13.

I must be different when it comes to house plants,shrubs and trees. I will buy the abused plants because I know in time I will have 'em looking there best....Jack

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 5:58PM
flowerpottipper

Elkay,

I love that aglaonema, I have a different type of pink aglaonema, and a few weeks ago I found this other weird colored aglaonema (red, green, and gold), not sure what color to call it, here's a pic-

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 10:24PM
nancy_pnwzone8(OR zone 8)

congratulations... those are both nice finds.

i'm surprised that the pink ags are beginning to show up at big box stores. it wasn't that many years ago that they were only available as expensive overseas imports.

i too have a weakness for ags. most of mine are green, but i have two pinks - Ayn ya manee and sparkling sarah.

i think that house plants are one of the few things where you have no idea what you're going to find until you get there. i think that it makes it sorta fun in a way, but in another way it's bad because it makes you think things like "i better buy this because i might not ever see one again." and then plant collecting addiction sets in :-)

cheers,

nancy

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:59AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Nancy, "I better buy this because i might not ever see one again." No doubt! This is true so many times.

Apparently I have a weakness for these too. I have 4 diff. Ags and would LOVE to have the two pictured here as well.

Of course, I LOVE that purple pot! The last Ag I got was in a ceramic cache pot too. I don't know who thought that was a good idea for BBS's...? From what I could tell, this batch of red ones were brought in to be sold as Christmas decorations so may have been on clearance in mid-Jan. (yay!) even if it didn't have dead leaves on it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 11:24AM
AsarumGreenPanda(z6 MA)

All three of those plants are stunning. Thanks for the inspiring photos. (Now I'm wondering why I don't grow these...I have just the place for them...) And, yes, I know that feeling of "better get it while it's here and alive."

Amanda

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:14PM
eahamel(9a)

I got one at Lowe's, too. I was really surprised to find it there, and at such a good price!

The cat has been munching on mine, I really need to find a better place for it.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 12:38PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I have found hoya tgsangii there. that is a rare species

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 2:57PM
715rose

I came so close to buying one of the Ags with the pink in the leaves a few days ago. But here they are $20.I decided since I will be buying plants for outdoors I would pass. These are $40 at the nursery.Woman at Lowes said lady from nursery comes & buys a lot of her plants.This Lowes takes excellent care of their plants.
Doris Iowa

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Sponsored Products
Best Quality Lighting Wall Mounted LV72AB Landscape Lighting – Area Light Low
Home Depot
Minka Lavery | Wave F843 Ceiling Fan
$219.95 | YLighting
Chadwick Satin Nickel 16.5-Inch LED One Light Mini Pendant
$218.00 | Bellacor
Patio Living Concepts Patio Tables. San Juan 30 in. Bisque Table Lamp with Solei
Home Depot
Sanibel Outdoor Sofa with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Trend Lighting TT8735 Three Kings Crystal Table - TT8735
$650.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™