pumpkin growing zone 5

dolivoJuly 31, 2012

Hi all. I've got three pumpkin plants growing in my garden. Only one has good size pumpkins on it. 3 of them that have been growing for well over a month now. But the other two plants do not have any pollinated growing pumpkins on them. (one POSSIBLY has a brand new one) but even if it did, is it too late in the season for a newly pollinated pumpkin to grow? I live in zone 5. I'm wondering because if there's not enough time, I might as well pull the two other plants instead of letting them grow all over my garden.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

There is still enough time. Fruit that sets in the next 2-3 weeks should still have time to mature in a typical Zone 5 climate, albeit a late maturity, you may need to cover a few nights against early frost to let them get those last few days in. However, for anyone east of the Rockies, the NWS is forecasting continued above-normal temps into the fall and all through the winter for the northern states, so this year hopefully will be a good one for late crops.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 7:49PM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

I sure hope there is still time, I don't have a pumpkin yet from my three plants, I finally had a male flower open today and I see a female on the end of one of the vines, however she won't be opening for a few more days at least!

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 12:28AM
dolivo

Thanks :-) I went out this evening and looked and the second plant actually has 2 small pumpkins growing. they are smaller than a tennis ball but bigger than a golf ball. So hopefully we will get 5 nice pumpkins for the kids this fall. The other three pumpkins are so cute, they have turned orange but are still small enough, I just wanna go out and talk baby talk to them! (I know, I'm weird)

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 12:46AM
AiliDeSpain(6a - Utah)

haha you sound like me!

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 12:57AM
dolivo

Thanks :-) I went out this evening and looked and the second plant actually has 2 small pumpkins growing. they are smaller than a tennis ball but bigger than a golf ball. So hopefully we will get 5 nice pumpkins for the kids this fall. The other three pumpkins are so cute, they have turned orange but are still small enough, I just wanna go out and talk baby talk to them! (I know, I'm weird)

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 1:41AM
More Discussions
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
New garden: Cheap raised beds or quality large planters?
Hi all, Starting to plan the garden this year, which...
pegleg48
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Sponsored Products
Urchin Uber Mini Pendant
Lightology
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Morph Pendant
Lightology
Glossy Ceramic Pumpkin
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
SoHo Pumpkin Rectangle: 5.5 Ft. x 8.5 Rug
$499.00 | Bellacor
Pumpkin Orange Porcelain 8-Qt. Covered Oval Pasta Pot
$63.99 | zulily
angelo:HOME Bleeker Park Table Lamp - Orange - 8569-TL
$60.00 | Hayneedle
Hand-tufted Penelope Orange/ Ivory Wool Rug (3' x 3')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™