Rubber plant needs help

kfloFebruary 9, 2013

Hello-

I inherited this rubber plant about 2 years ago and it struggled for a while... It seems to be very healthy and growing great, but it is quite top-heavy!

It is only about 18" tall, it is 5 little skinny trunks coming out of the soil, which are bare about 6" up then it has all these big happy looking leaves bushing out all over the top. The branch is actually thicker towards the top of the branch than the base.

The base of all these stems or trunks (not sure what you call them?) are extremely puny and will not hold them up on their own so I have a stake i the pot as well.

I'm afraid to do anything with it as it took over a year for it really come to life! Do I need to prune, trim, repot??

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Are we talking about a Ficus? Or maybe a Carasula ovata? Can you post a picture.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 4:14PM
kflo

Yes, Ficus.... Here 'tis.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 5:24PM
Matt68046

It looks like it just wants a bigger pot and more water and it will be fine. You can seperate the fig from the Dracena too if you'd like.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 12:51AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi Kflo, welcome to Gardenweb!

Since the whole pot is not visible in your pic, I'm wondering about how the water drains from that setup. If wind never blows on your plant, there's nothing to cause it to become stronger. Removing a few of the leaves, and running some kind of fan to blow gently on the plants periodically, could help the stems to become stronger. I can't tell - is it one plant with branches or several individuals?

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 9:50AM
More Discussions
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™