White stuff on Zucchini Leaves

marythompsonJuly 30, 2009

I'm a beginner suburban gardener with a small patch of tomatoes and zucchini in my backyard. I'm also a relatively new member of GardenWeb and this is my first posting to the forum.

I've had this white stuff appearing on the leaves of my zucchini plants. The zucchini's themselves seem fine, and the leaves don't seem to be harmed by it either. I didn't notice anything on the stalks or flowers. The white stuff is on a lot of the leaves but not all. It looks as if the plants are dusted with powder.

You can see 2 pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildmary63/

Anyone know what this is? Should I be worried about it? What should I do about it?

A lot of people around here have had tomato blight, but my tomatoes are fine. This is only on the zucchini which I started indoors from seeds myself.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Mary.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanieftx

Looks like it might be powdery mildew. You can spray it with a milk-water concoction to get rid of it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 7:53PM
marythompson

Very cool. Thanks for the tip. I found info about using milk and water at the site below. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk and Water Mixture Article

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 8:58PM
marythompson

I sprayed the milk/water mix on the leaves this afternoon. I'll post again in a few days after I see any results.

Thanks again,
Mary.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 6:07PM
tee_gardener

Good link there, Mary. I use a solution of milk, baking soda, and a squirt of soap mixed in a hose end sprayer. I found some articles on just milk and water (like the one you posted), and some that said the use baking soda and soap. I figured I would try all of them together. It seems to work pretty good so far.

I have found it works best when you first begin noticing the powdery mildew. If you let it go too far, it pretty much takes over. Powdery mildew is a constant battle here in southeast VA.

Good luck with your zucchini!

Tee

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 10:41PM
marial1214(Z 6 PA)

My leaves are silvery too and so far I've been getting a couple squash per week which is plenty for us. Does powdery mildew kill the plants or stop them from producing?

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 10:52AM
noinwi

The 'silver' on your leaves is a natural mottling and is not powdery mildew. PM is white, usually starts as round spots, and can be rubbed off. Here is a pic of my container zucchini taken moments ago...no powdery mildew...HTH

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 11:26AM
randi_como_yahoo_com

I had this same powder on my plants, they were producing zucchini, so I wasn't too concerned. Both of my plants were dead in 2 days. I know what to do in the future now, thanks for the info!

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Safe termite control for organic garden
We have termites in our organic garden again this year! Last...
sctn
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
What Bugs Are In My Garden?
I am growing artichoke, kale, a spider plant and a...
safersaturnx
Storing onion sets
I purchased a bag of onion sets for growing as green...
rgress
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™