Cucumber problems-2nd year in a Row

kingreyam24July 14, 2014

I have 3 raised vegetable gardens that i have been using for the last 7 years. I never had a problem with my cucumbers until last year. I have always planted the Straight Eight cucumbers. My plants were always dark green and so were the cucumbers. Last year, my cucumber plants started to turn yellow in one spot and then spread to the rest. The plants were completely dead before the end of July. I figured it was because we got more rain last summer than any other since I have lived here (Maryland), which obviously was not the case since it is happening again this year. Would love anyone to help me with what is happening here....thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kingreyam24

Here is a close-up of the worst spot.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:30PM
kingreyam24

Last year I had the cucumbers planted where the tomatoes are on the left....in a completely different bed.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:31PM
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville

while I don't see it on the still green leaves in the photo, the yellow and dead parts of the plant look like the results of powdery mildew. Do the green leaves ever have a whitish substance that looks a bit like powder on the leaves? If it isn't this it could be some other fungus, and it might be well worth spraying with immunox. It won't cure the already damaged plant but will keep it from spreading and getting worse if it is a fungus. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:45PM
jimmy56_gw

I have some of that on my plants too, I just keep picking off the bad leaves and throwing them in a burning barrel, I do spray mine with Immunox.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:52PM
OldDutch(4)

Downy or Powdery mildew looks like.

See:
http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/veg_fruit/hgic2206.html

You may have some success by searching out and planting varieties with more disease resistance than Straight 8. If you have been saving your own seed, discard what you have and resplace it new clean seed.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:05PM
planatus(6)

This is the third post in so many weeks showing angular leafspot as a likely cause of cuke decline. It's a bacterial disease that gets established in soil, after which you need resistant varieties forever.

Here is a link that might be useful: VA tech cuke ALS

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:06AM
kingreyam24

Thanks, I guess I will try the Immunox and hope that the new growth stays green. I've never seen any powdery stuff on the leaves. It would just start as a small yellow holes....almost like holes were burning in the leaves and eventually the leaf would just completely dry up. What are better resistant varieties that I could plant next year? I used the straight 8 because I like the more slender cucumbers with smaller seeds. Are there any resistant varieties that are like the straight 8?

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™