Zone 9/10 vegetable gardening newbie

jnap(z5 NE-OHIO)July 16, 2008

My friend has decided to start a vegetable garden in the Naples, FL area and is wondering about tips on what to grow and what does well in her area. I, living in Ohio, have no idea. If there are any veggie growers in south florida who can give advice and tips it would be much appreciated. Thanks for all your help!!

Jeff

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynthia_h

One place to start might be http://www.southerngardening.org/ which has lots of educational (both introductory and intermediate) articles on gardening in the south. And, for this purpose, Naples, FL is in the "south." (Even if, culturally, it's not.)

in el cerrito (but used to live in Tampa & Atlanta)

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:36PM
grandad_2003(9A/sunset 28)

Check also the Florida Vegetable Planting Guide link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Vegetable Planting Guide

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 1:28PM
fabraholic216(9b)

I live in South Florida. I use the Florida Vegetable Planting Guide that the previous poster mentioned. I have also found that black eyed peas, lima beans, cherry tomatoes, green beans, summer squash and basil can be planted all during the summer and they do pretty well if you keep them watered. So, we can actually grow vegetables all year round. I just started my tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds to have my transplants ready for the beginning of September which is when those should be planted down here, I plant them again in March (seeds started in Jan.). I live in St. Lucie County and we rarely have frost here so fall and winter is when I grow most of my vegetable varieties. I am more limited on when I can grow cool weather crops like radishes, swiss chard, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Good luck to your friend and I hope her garden goes very well.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™