Planting in Glass

tporter17February 18, 2012

I bought a plant yesterday and I have a medium sized glass cylinder vase that I would like to use as a planter. I've searched everywhere online and the only advice I saw was to use some kind of gravel or stones at the bottom, then a coffee filter, and then dirt. Has anyone tried this with success, or does anyone have some different advice?

A note, I'm not interested in a terrarium or placing fake flowers in the vase. I would really like to find a way to use the vase as a planter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Take it to a glass company and have a hole drilled in the bottom .....

I'm afraid that what you suggested with the coffee filter .... will find you with badly fouled water in the bottom of the container before long.

The problem with an enclosed system is that salts from tapwater and fertilizers build up in the soil and cause problems. You can avoid this to a degree by using distilled or otherwise deionized water (water from a dehumidifier, snowmelt, rain water. RO water .....) and watering carefully, and fertilizing with fish emulsion. Keep in mind though that the enlopsed system is very unforgiving of over-watering.

Al

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 6:48PM
summersunlight(5b)

I am thinking your best bet might be a plant that doesn't require soil to do well. For example, a lot of people display Tillandsia ("air plant") in glass orbs or jars without any soil (though you do have to watch out for rot if you water them in the container).
Another idea would be to fill the vase with water and grow a plant cutting that can root and survive in water. There are many plants that can adapt to growing in water.
Wandering jew, spider plant, sygonium, aglaonema (Chinese evergreen), and pothos are just a few of the many plants that can survive longterm in water.
You'd want to change the water periodically to avoid the water becoming foul.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tillandsia display idea

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 9:17AM
val1(z4 UT)

You might also consider planting Lucky Bamboo (dracaena sanderiana). They do well planted in stones in a glass vase. My daughter has some that are doing wonderfully. From what we have read, they need distilled water and special fertilizer to thrive. Water must also be changed weekly.

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:07PM
birdsnblooms

Porter..How about growing hydroponically?

Soil is not needed. Instead you'd need stones, marbles, sand, etc, or a product called Hydroton to keep roots in place and plant from tipping over.

Val...Lucky Bamboo can be grown in plain, ordinary tap water. No need for distilled. Toni

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:51PM
tporter17

Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Fittonia - ID & Care
Here's another plant I just bought. I'd appreciate...
bobv2
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™