plant ID - fern-leaf aralia?

petrushkaFebruary 13, 2013

i grew this from a cutting. i think it's polyscias filicifolia. common name fern-leaf aralia or panax. it deffinitely shows aralia like stems and growth habit. it seems it's not available commercially. it seems it's common in hawaii. it also shows on palm beach county list as a rare plant?
i just totally love it's pendulous lacy branches.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That's exactly what it is, Petrushka! What a stunning plant. I've never seen one in person, but have enjoyed viewing all of the pictures on the internet, thanks to you.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 4:36PM
petrushka

i took a cutting in the hotel (under cover of the nite and watchfully observing the site for maids) - just couldn't help myself. and flew it in the suitcase :). well, 3 cuttings to be on the safe side. it grew bagged for a year. it's about 3 years old now and almost 3 ' from the pot. i bag it for winter to maintain warmth. and dote on it. i seemed to find it on all kinds of foreign sites: german, japanese, russian, turkish, but no american. seems nobody here is growing it. although in hawaii it seems abandant. did you see a variegated and golden ones? stunners!
just out of curiosity, do they allow you to take cuttings of plants with you on the plane OUT of hawaii? i know, they don't allow anything IN-coming.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 5:55PM

Nope to the illegal transport of cuttings and nope to the swiping of cuttngs from a plant that does not belong to you.

The rules of common morality suggests that you ASK before taking cuttings, whether from a parking lot, a restaurant, a hotel, a garden center, etc. I've asked hundreds of times over the years and have only been refused once.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 9:27PM
petrushka

je-ez, good for you!

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 1:09PM

Well, I don't think I told you anything you didn't already know. If you ask, you won't have to sneak "under cover of night ", lol.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 7:22PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

So may I ask pls. is this fern leaf Aralia related to the Ming Aralia (Polyscia Ming)? & my beloved Balfour Aralia (of which I just lost my last small pot?) Very nice plant.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 8:23PM
petrushka

ming is fruticosa. yeh, they're all related.
rhizo, i was jesting, overdramatizing a little. perhaps, if i put a smilie it would help. it's literally the only cutting i ever took and i have absolutely no qualms about it. lets leave it at that.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Dying Calathea Plant
Hello all! I have recently started getting interested...
avanns
Sponsored Products
Kids' Hanging Basket
$7.99 | zulily
Lechuza | Cubico 40 Planter
YLiving.com
Romano 5-foot Indoor/ Outdoor Boxwood Spiral Topiary Tree
Overstock.com
Artisan Handmade Copper Gladiolus Sprinkler
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Jaipur Metro Yuriya Area Rug - RUG112645
$62.00 | Hayneedle