Confirming spider plant?

chaparralgirl(Sonoran Desert (CA))February 3, 2012

Hi all,

I normally hang out in the Cacti & Succulent Forum, but today I found I need y'all's help.

I'm taking a botany class *eeeeeeee!* (that's a squeal of delight) and I have to document the growth of a plant of my choice. I was originally going to do some succulents (I do have a bit of a fetish), but all of my cuttings are already underway in their growth, and I had wanted to start without roots.

Last night, hubby and I were in a local home and garden store, and while I was admiring some of the hanging houseplants I noticed a piece had broken off of one. I was allowed to take it, and I've since put it in a vase of distilled water, and have decided to use it for my growth documentation project.

Thing is, I don't know what it is. I didn't think to look at the parent plant (which is kind of a huge "DUH") or the label on the pot (although half the time the labels aren't correct anyway). I've done some Googling, and it looks like a baby from a common Spider Plant. But I want to be sure, since I have to include the scientific name in the report. Here's what my little bitty looks like:

Here are a few close-ups:

Am I safe going with Chlorophytum comosum? Does this look like a variegated C. comosum to any of you? Is it a cultivar? Is it perhaps a different species?

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks so much!

*CG*

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaleanna(z8 TX)

Hi CG,

Yes it does appear to be a baby spider plant that you have there. Now as for whether it is the all green or a variegated version, that I can not tell.

Hope that helps you at least a lil.

Kaleanna

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 7:08PM
summersunlight(5b)

Yeah, it looks like you have a shoot from a spider plant with multiple baby spider plants attached to it.
I would suggest taking off some of the baby plants from the end of the branch and then rooting the baby plants in water. Look closely to see if any of the babies already have small roots growing. Sometimes if you're lucky the most mature baby spiders will have already started to grow roots while on the branch, which makes it easier to root them.
I am not sure if the branch by itself can be rooted. It might just die and then you might lose all the babies.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 7:46PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yes, I agree Chlorophytum, don't know which. I'm not great at rooting them, but am currently growing cluster of babies in water to start growing hydro.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
help my Imperial Green Philodendron
Hello dears , I've a very beautiful and large Philodendron...
sara03
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™