What is this plant and how do I care for it?

kamakFebruary 9, 2013

Hello,

I have had this plant for a while. I got it at Home Depot probably 2 years ago and for some reason it has been growing like crazy for the last few months. I originally put it in this class vase because I didn't expect it to grow much and I used to have some other pretty terrarium type things in there too. But lately I've had it in my office which gets no light, and it is taking off!

Now the stem to the right is bending over and risks breaking. I am not sure what this plant is, or how to separate it out or if I even should. Can anyone provide guidance?

Thank you!

This post was edited by kamak on Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 18:04

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantomaniac08(8)

Kamak,
That's a Syngonium, aka Arrowhead Vine. It's a vining plant which yours appears to be in the process of starting. Have to wait on it's proper care and separation, I don't own one of these, sorry. But, I do know they're easy to care for.

Planto

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 7:50PM
tropicbreezent

It is a vine, and in warmer climates it can be quite invasive. Give it something to climb up and when it gets a bit long you can trail the runners back to the bottom and it will climb again giving a bushier effect. If you have it as a hanging plant you can just let it trail/hang down. Usually after hanging down a bit it will turn up and climb back up on itself.They've very easy to grow, just don't let the potting soil stay too soggy, or too cold.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:08PM
kamak

Thank you so much! That's great. Now I know what to do with it :)

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 2:11AM
stewartsjon

Yep, this is a Syngonium, and as the person above says, keep it fairly dry and fairly warm and you won't go wrong.

Might be worth giving it something to climb up, like a cane/canes.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 4:59AM
More Discussions
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™