Crowder Peas

joy_unspeakable(7NC)July 27, 2008

Like many other recent posters, I am wanting to plant a fall garden this year. I've checked recent threads and my county extension website to see what grows best in my area.

I was really wanting to plant some crowder peas or cow peas. This will be my first time planting these. I went to my local hardware store where I usually buy a lot of my seeds and they are out of all seeds for the rest of the season (they said due to increased gardening this year and drought last year - supplier is out). I also checked the victory seeds website (and several others) - all are out of the suggested variety for my area.

Thought about trying to find some on ebay? Anyone have any good suggestions for crowder pea types to grow in the piedmont area of NC. Or any fall veggies that you have tried in this area.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamagrit(8)

You might try these two companies. Southern Exposure is located in Virginia and the other Georgia. Both sell crowder and Southern peas.

http://www.southernexposure.com or http://www.cooperseeds.com/

I tried some Black Crowders this year for the first time and love'em!! I should have planted more. Mississippi Silver Hulls are good ones too.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 8:29PM
dancinglemons(7B VA)

I got my cow peas from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.(link below) They have several different varieties. I wonder how well the peas will grow in zone 7 if I plant now?? Anyone know about cow peas planted last week of July?? If anyone has done this please post your results.

Thanks,
DL

joy_unspeakable,
Not trying to hijack your thread - just need answers to cowpea question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 8:31PM
farmerdilla

May be a bit late for Crowders. Some of the pinkeye/purple hulls get off the mark pretty quickly and may be a better bet in the upper south.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 9:07PM
ronnywil(7a)

I buy mine from Heirloom Acres.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Acres Seeds

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 11:26PM
ppod(6 SE NY)

Joy, Willhite Seed has excellent prices, are pleasant to deal with, has low shipping charges, and the seeds are in the mail as soon as the order is placed (800-828-1840). I highly recommend them. And they have a large selection of Southern peas including the ones you are seeking, as well as the ones Farmerdilla recommends.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 11:57PM
joy_unspeakable(7NC)

Thank you all for the sites. I went with the Mississippi Purple Hull. We'll see how they do!

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Need advice on setup
I am in charge of a community garden at my place of...
Brandon Smith
What Bugs Are In My Garden?
I am growing artichoke, kale, a spider plant and a...
safersaturnx
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
Does Vgkg still post here?
I would've posted on Conversations, but doesn't look...
natal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™