Alternaria leaf blight on yellow squash?

FADiverJuly 12, 2011

I think my straight neck squash are getting a bad case of Alternaria leaf blight. Older leaves are yellowing and getting brown spots, and it is spreading to nearby cucumbers (I'd post a pic, but I seriously can not figure out how...). Forum searches and google searches don't offer much help. Can anything be done? Also, the weather over the past three weeks has been ridiculously hot here in northern Alabama; heat index well over one hundred, very high humidity, and it storms every day. The soil is quite damp. If it's not alternaria, could it be that the squash and cucumbers simply can't take the weather (I'm barely surviving myself, believe me). I would think that the damage would be more uniform if that was the case, but maybe the younger leaves are just stronger. Thanks for any advice,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrybull

this is altemaria, does it look the same?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
FADiver

Yeah, actually it does. Seems to have whitish spots as well that turn brown and then turn into holes in the leaves. I wonder if it's transmitted by the birds that like to perch on my trellis (and poop on the squash and cukes below)?

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Growing malabar spinach
I want to grow malabar spinach, but I do not have a...
robert2014 zone 5b
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Artichoke Failure, HELP!!!
I am in zone 7a, middle TN, and attempting to grow...
Trinacria
Garden row orientation: east-west, or north-south?
I'm wondering if there is any benefit to orientating...
nick_b79
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™