Scales are back

zzackey(8b GA)February 26, 2012

I was given a nice minature shefflera that was loaded with scales. I hand cleaned every leaf on the top and bottom to remove them. They are back now. Do they live in the soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You can treat them with horticultural oil that is labeled either 'perfect', 'summer', or 'all season'. You can mix it in a hand spritzer or a pump sprayer. Take the plant outdoors (when temps allow) and be sure that the entire plant - every nook and cranny - top and bottom of leaves - is thoroughly covered. That should take care of them.

Al

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 9:19PM
birdsnblooms

Zack...I use Fish Emulsion as a Scale preventative and insecticide.

If you decide to go with FE, the dossage is 1 capful per 16oz spayer of water. Leftover mix must be discarded. A second application might be needed.

If your Scheff was near other plants, give them a spray, too.
FE is safe, organic and can be sprayed in or outdoors.

I was given this recipie by a woman in Fl who owns a citrus nursery. They spray their trees w/FE. Toni

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 11:15AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Zackey, you just thought you got rid of all the scale. That's not likely to happen, especially with hand cleaning.

The advice about using an oil is your best route. Oils smother scale eggs, scale nymphs (crawlers), as well as the adults. Horticultural oils are also safe and organic. Al suggested that you move the plant outside to spray just to avoid the mess. Once the dripping stops you can bring the plant back inside.

Scale insects do not live in nor hide in the soil. You simply missed some of the very small crawlers or eggs when you did you cleaning. The oil mists will take care of them, especially when applied once or twice a year even if you see no scale.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 12:44PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

..... and what Dori said applies to mealybug, too. You just aren't going to even come close to getting them all by hand picking or using a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. You need to have a more effective plan.

Best luck!

Al

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™