Cherry Bush ' compact '

bamboo_turtlesFebruary 21, 2010

I repotted Cherry Bush ' compact ' in a bonsai pot about three weeks ago , now it's starting to drop alot of leaves . Are these pouty plants like Ficus and it will refoliate in a few weeks or warmer days ahead ? Or ... ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Could you perhaps give us a botanical name? Am guessing no one knows what it is; I don't know that name.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 3:14PM
birdsnblooms

Bamboo, do you have a Hanson's Cherry Bush? If so, they're not the easiest plants growing indoors..
The Hanson's Cherry start blooming 'white flowers' around May..fruit are dark purple to black and edible.
They prefer living outdoors, especially in the ground, but also sold as houseplants.
They're used grown as bonsais, which is what led me to believe you're talking about Hansons.

Did you prune/trim its roots before placing in a bonsai pot? If so, your plant is bound to drop leaves. It's now a matter of adapting to its new environment.
If you trimmed roots, did you prune stems, too? Bonsai's need balance. I believe, 1/3rd roots to 1/3rd foliage.

For the time, allow bright light, although Hansens need full sun to develop fruit. But until your plant acclimates, place in bright, indirect sun.
Place in a saucer with stones/pebbles. Shower the entire plant, soil and foliage. 'morning preferably'

Are its leaves yellowing or browning before dropping? Toni

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 6:49PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

This plant is probably the very vigorous Eugenia myrtifolia 'compacta' (aka Syzgium paniculatum, and commonly known as dwarf brush cherry). Even if it was Prunus besseyi (bush cherry), there is no reason that when a proper spring repotting and root pruning is performed that the plant would be 'bound' to shed foliage. Look to other cultural issues like watering (too much/too little), over-fertilizing, low humidity, sudden decrease in light levels, or poor timing of the repot (it's difficult to tell if timing is appropriate because you don't indicate where you live - state/USDA zone - in your user info).

If you only acquired the plant 3 weeks ago, it seems like it would have been prudent to let the plant get settled and acclimated to its new surroundings before you undertook a repot. Odds favor the likely cause of the plant shedding foliage as being sudden change (decrease) in light intensity between its former home and its new.

Bonsai need balance? 1/3 roots to 1/3 foliage? What does this mean?

This plant should not be misted, though humidity in the 40-60% range is preferred.

Al

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Worried about my Philodendren, Please help!
Hi there everyone. I loved the help that I got about...
huskymom87
Mini garden
A long time ago I started working on this mini garden,...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Sponsored Products
Oneida Color Burst Very Cherry 16-piece Dinnerware Set
Overstock.com
Hampton Bay Floor Lamp: Tripod Floor Lamp with cloth covered cord 18165-000
Home Depot
Visir 30 Outdoor Wall Sconce by LBL Lighting
$252.00 | Lumens
Tube LED Vanity Wall Sconce
Lightology
52" Fanimation Camhaven Bronze Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus