Help! Dying House Plant

Garcia3000February 2, 2013

Hi All,

Not sure what kind of plant I have here but it looks like it's going to die soon. Any advise?

I water it regularly (once or twice a week) but recently we added more soil as it was getting low (soil was from the dollar store). Also added some fertilizer.

See pics below and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lenle(4)

I'm not sure what type of plant you have there...I almost want to say croton, but that aside, I'm sure having it that close to a heat vent is definitely not helping it any. You'll also want to invest in a better soil and hold off on fertilizing until your plant is healthier. Also, if the pot you have it in doesn't have a drainage hole, you're headed for trouble.

Watering twice a week sounds like too much, especially if you're using regular potting soil.

These are just 'at first glance' thoughts. Someone else will likely have more detailed suggestions.

Good luck!

Jeni

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:54AM
Sarah1502

I, too, thought that your watering schedule seemed too much, especially for winter. If the plant needs watering that often, and you said that the soil was getting low, my guess is that it needs to be repotted. How much sun does your plant get? I agree that having it that close to a vent isn't good. (but perhaps you just moved it there to take the picture.) I hope that some of the more experienced people here will give you good advice on what to do. They'll know how to help! Good luck. I hope you are able to save it.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 11:45AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think that plant is already dead.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 3:29PM
AsarumGreenPanda(z6 MA)

Tony, can you give us a little more information about the conditions you're growing the plant in? What are the day and night temperatures? How close is it to a window and what exposure? I agree it might be best to start afresh with a new plant. If you want to do that, maybe we can help you find one with good potential to thrive in your particular environment, given optimal soil, watering schedule and fertilizing plan.

Amanda

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
Alii Ficus
Ok, today I picked up an Alii Ficus. Thing is, I spotted...
Joe1980
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™