Please look at these eggplant pant photos. Are these healthy?

wishingtonJuly 6, 2008

Hi,

This is my first year of having a garden. One thing I was very excited about was my eggpants. So far they just look odd. They are the Black Beauty variety, hybrid.

Aside from having a few bites taken out of the leaves, is this how eggplants look? I planted these in March indoors, and put them out end of May. I don't think I see any flowers yet. I wonder how long that will take.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bropaul(6 NJ)

They look just fine to me. Some of mine have that funny curl,too. I'm not sure what that's all about.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 8:52PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They have what is called "leaf curl" (same thing as tomato leaf curl as in the same family and you can Google it for lots of info). It is a sign of stress usually caused by inconsistent soil moisture levels and/or too much nitrogen fertilizer. Once the stress is eliminated they do fine. It is a natural cry for help from the plant if you will. ;) But it doesn't affect over-all plant health or its ability to produce fruit.

Those plants could really, really use some mulch. Not only will heavy mulching (straw or old hay is perfect) stabilize the soil moisture levels and reduce the stress, keep down weeds, and insulate the roots, but it will decrease your need to water nearly as often and improve your soil in the process.

Naked soil should never be allowed in the garden. ;)

Dave

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 9:59PM
wishington

Wow, thanks SO much!

I'm going to figure out how to get some mulch as soon as I can. And look up the curl issue on google.

Could I use card board to put on the ground? Has anyone ever done that? I don't have an easy source for mulch. What about pine needles?

Thanks so much, you guys are fabulous!

Sylvia
(Wishington)

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 10:07PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Another reason for a "leaf curl issue" is using weed killer in the vicinity.

Did you ?

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 1:24AM
grandpop1(7-A)

You can generally buy straw at the big box stores like Home Depot or your local farmers coop. Be careful with pine needles as they will acidify your soil. Tomatoes, as do most veggies, like a slightly acid soil (6.0-6.8) but you would want to know your pH before using pine. Other things like dried grass clippings, leaves, straw decompose to pH neutral. Green vegetation, fresh sawdust, etc will use the soils nitrogen to break down and rob it from the plant - so age them first.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 8:25AM
wishington

We haven't used any weed killer in the area, but our top soil was brought in this spring, so who knows if there was weed killer used around it before?

The tomatoes and potatoes are also curling a little, but seem to be doing OK.

Thank you,

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 11:56AM
More Discussions
Puzzled with my bell pepper plants
I have been harvesting from the same plant since last...
jacat426
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
Aphids from hell
So, I have some aphids that have been on my overwintering...
pinkiemarie
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™