A plant only I could love!

kaykay-08(5)February 19, 2011

Honestly, I don't even Love it! It was My first plant over ten years ago. A beautiful, Full, Shiny Pothos. I was so excited. It's such an easy plant to care for, (it practically takes care of it's self!)

As orchids and violets came and died, It lived!As cactus and succulents shriveled under my watchful, over watering eye, it lived. As my collection grew and i figured out what I could keep not only alive but thriving, It lived!

Now it sits in pot in a spare room spindly and missing leaves at least 8 inches from the soil to the growth that reaches the floor. It's such a homely plant. Some days I contemplate just throwing it out or cutting it back and letting it start fresh. But I just keep it the way it is and think about how one little plant purchased over 10 years started an obsession of trial, error, Propagation, seed collection, and searching clearance racks for plants that i can take home and give new life to.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

kaykay-08, reminds me of the saying, "A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step".

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 6:30AM
kaykay-08(5)

:) Very true!

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 10:29AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Aw, give the poor thing a big ol' haircut so it can look pretty again! If it's any kind of reasonable condition, you can make several stem cuttings (don't lose track of which end is 'up') and stick them in a pot, too!

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 3:45PM
birdsnblooms

I second Rhizo's suggestion. Take some cuttings. I root Pothos in water, but some prefer soil. After they root, stick them in the same plant w/mom.
Your Pothos will be compact.
BTW, have you repotted, added fresh soil or fertilized in the last 10 yrs? Toni

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 3:50PM
kaykay-08(5)

Thanks for the comments all! I have made cuttings for friends in the past! Yes Toni the poor thing has been re potted and fertilized in the past! I have to admit though it's been awhile.

Bookmark   February 20, 2011 at 5:57PM
birdsnblooms

Kay, don't feel bad. I won't dare say the number of years my Pothos has been in the same pot, same soil, and w/o fertilizer..lol..

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 10:12PM
cardarlin(5)

I'm thinking a new soil/repot is in order as well. Especially if you said it's been awhile. I think I would try all of the above. Repot and Haircut!

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 8:23AM
lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)

They grow so fast; I find that mine look spindly quickly if I don't stay on top of trimming (and I never do). I hate cutting off all those long strands and throwing them away (how many does one need and I've given away cuttings to everyone I know and some I don't know). I have learned to throw them away down the trash shoot so I won't try to rescue them, lol.

But, in a month or so when the new growth starts, a few strands are spilling over, and they look so full and perky? It's totally worth it!

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 6:49AM
kaykay-08(5)

The guilt has gotten the best of me! I gave the guy a massive haircut and started some newbies! Re potting should take place
in a few weeks(ish)!

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 7:41PM
lathyrus_odoratus(5A-IL)

Boy, can't believe I wrote trash shoot! I must have been tired, lol.

Trash chute, I meant. Too funny.

Kaykay-08, I'm sure it's a much better looking plant, or at least will be when it adds just a bit of growth. Maybe I cut too much, lol, because they're always sort of naked looking at first.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 3:29AM
bella08

I also have a Pothos (my very 1st Plant in US) It's 12 years old, even older than my Cat (she is 11) So, I'm determined to keep it alive :) So, I took some cuttings from my hanging Pothos, made it climb this time. It looks great :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:22AM
squidy(8a)

I have one too! It was my second plant after a stock of lucky bamboo.
I found mine on top of a dumpster in the city.. guess some shop threw it out because it was looking bedraggled.

It's kind of the plant I experiment on now, lol.
But I still love it so much.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Jasmine plant in suspended animation
Hi all, Hubby bought me a little jasmine plant for...
vamtngranny
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™