my hoya hindu rope....

emerald1951February 16, 2013

Hi all.....
I just wanted to post this picture of my hoya hindu rope,
its close to 7 feet long now...and I think it needs a bigger pot.....I was wondering if I transplant it some time between now and spring, will it still bloom or will the transplanting make it skip blooming this year?
linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Linda,

That is one amazing looking Hoya compacta, I never seen one so long & healthy looking.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but invite you to post it over at Hoya forum. Likely you'd get some good feedback there.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:47AM
emerald1951

Hi and Thank you....you would never know this plant was infested with mealy bugs a year and half ago...I found Bayer tablets that you push into the soil and I gave the plant (not the soil) a shower twice a week until they were gone...the tablets did a great job killing when the bugs sucked on the plant, and the showers washed away the dead bugs....thanks again...I will try the hoya forum..linda

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 10:18AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Linda! How have you been? I owe you:-)

It's bee crazy about my part of the world and yet I wanted to take the time to tell you that you have one of the nicest Hoyta plants I have ever seen, along with your CC too.
For my Mother to say she loves it says a lot! She hates most plants..lol

Hoping all is well and thanks for sharing such a beauty!
Does it flower all over the place and do they smell good?
I love how you got rid of your mealy problem. I can only imagine trying to swab them buggers out of all those hiden spots.

Mike

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 1:42PM
emerald1951

Hi Mike...thank you and your mom for the nice comments..it has bloomed a few times...all is well here.....I guess I am like everyone I can't wait for spring, I was out saturday going to any where, where they sell plants looking for green didn't buy anything..:(
linda

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 9:47PM
mrlike2u(**)

A better chance it wont flower but if up potting is done correctly and with care.

With that being said if the pot isn't budging I wouldn't re-pot it because it's a root ball nightmare you should expect some root loss which would be a contributing reason if you don't get flowering.

Not to sound repetitive but that is one long and very nice looking Rope.

There maybe a few things but what could be worse than a plant free green free weekend when the plan is to get them.

Chasing away the blues.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 10:42PM
AsarumGreenPanda(z6 MA)

That is a beautiful and beautifully=grown H. compacta! I agree: amazing. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to comment on the plant.

I don't grow compacta, but my other H. carnosas don't seem to like being transplanted in cool weather; they do much better when repotted or potted up during summer here.

Amanda

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:23AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

O wow, I LOVE LOVE looking at plants like this that I could never have. Not that I think I'm incapable of it, I just know I wouldn't be able to resist trimming those things to make more more more, waaaaay before they got that long. And I probably would have repotted it a while back, breaking some of it I'm sure. I always admire a plant that's been given the chance to mature, and the self-control and patience of its' keeper in not messing with it.

Sorry you didn't find any new additions!

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:29AM
emerald1951

Hi and a big thank you to all that commented....
I think I repotted this plant about 3 times...and the soil seems hard maybe it is all roots...I was going to repot it one more time and then in the future take cuttings and start over....this plant I am guess is about 6 years old...
maybe I will wait til spring and see what might be there for flowers and then decide.....thanks everyone....linda

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 9:23PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Great hoya, Linda!

Josh

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 10:51PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

If it ain't broke don't fix it....it isn't showing any signs of being upset about the pot size....a real stunner for sure....

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 9:24PM
Lamora(4)

Can't wait for mine to get like that~~ but don't think it will, only 3 plants in this pot, but it is growing!!

Yours is very pretty, :)

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™