Plants, Oxygen, Carbon Dioxide

guest123February 14, 2009

So plants give off oxygen during the day and carbon dioxide during the night. So my question is, does placing two plants in your bedroom mean that at night time (when you're trying to sleep) the plants are emitting carbon dioxide into the air in your bedroom? If so, would the quantum of carbon dioxide emitted by the plants meaningfully and adversely compromise the breathing air in the room at night when you're trying to sleep? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
guest123

A quick Google search appears to have answered my own question: http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/108648/alternative_medicine/house_plants_for_better_sleep.html

But I am curious, putting aside those few plants that actually release oxygen at night, would the average plant that releases carbon dioxide at night compromise the breathing air in the bedroom and to a meaningful degree?

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 11:44PM
guest123

Here is another forum where a similar questiion was raised: http://en.allexperts.com/q/House-Plants-721/indoor-plants-sleep.htm

The answer provided there seems to be the knee-jerk response that ignores that plants release carbon dioxide, not oxygen, at night.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 12:08AM
    Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 12:13AM
sewobsessed

There was a discussion pretty recently about this:

Do plants rob a room of oxygen at night?

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 5:54AM
guest123

Thanks. Let's consider this post closed, and refer to the one already underway, which is very comprehensive.

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 10:49AM
oxyplants

Oxyplants India deals mainly with Oxygen plants, Nitrogen plants. We are renowned as the Manufacturer of Oxygen Plants, Nitrogen Plants and Acetylene plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: oxyplants

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 8:38AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

EXTRA COOL! But I'm really disappointed you don't have nuclear plants. :-( I soo had my heart set on one.

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 9:39AM
sps_lokesh

Hi,I am lokesh from india,To a certain extent, this is true. Photosynthesis and metabolism are completely seperate processes going on at the same time. While photosynthesis�by definition�needs light to proceed, and therefore fluctuates greatly depending on the incident light strength, metabolism is roughly constant throughout the day. Since a lot of the plant's growth occurs during daylight hours, the rate of metabolism also fluctuates, because growth requires energy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ayurvedic Products Manufacturer

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 5:48AM
penfold2(4b, MN)

Lokesh, I was about to give you bonus points for actually providing relevant information, but then I found that you had simply copied and pasted from elsewhere on the internet. So now you are both a spammer and a plagiarist. For shame...

Oxygen plants made me lol, though.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
Avocado Plant Leaf Trouble
I started an avocado plant from a over the winter,...
Patrick Johnston
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
What kind of plant is this?
I recently purchased a houseplant from b&q but...
hancoll
Question about ecobulb for houseplants
a while back someone on this forum rec. the Ecobulb...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™