Algerian Ivy Help

grrr4200(z3 MI)March 12, 2012

http://www.monrovia.com/img/plants/4529/d/5893-variegated-algerain-ivy-close-up.jpg

I bought a plant in the reduced bin this evening at my local grocery store. Although i am familiar with Algerian Ivy's i'm even more familiar with killing them. I have a great green thumb but a black thumb when it comes to ivy's.. haha

At any rate. Is there anyone with advice on how they get their algerians to grow well? I've read up on them in the houseplant expert but all attempts at keeping these things alive hasn't worked.

Why i bought another one is beyond me... hoping to get some great advice from fellow planties here! Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I can believe that they are challenging as a houseplant. They resent warm/dry winter temps in the house. Try to keep as cool as possible over the winter. I ended up planting mine outside, under an overhang of the house and it is doing fine and starting to spread and climb. they are cold hardy to around 7b. I like them even though I ripped out a strand of common English Ivy that had taken over my island of Hemlocks--darn things grew up into the Hemlocks and suffocating them!

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantmasterm(z7)

Not recommended as a house plant..to keep it forever plant it in your landscape

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™