Distilled water on plants.

larry_b(Zone5/CO)March 31, 2013

I would like to know how to add trace salts and minerals to distilled water so that it's usable for watering houseplants.

The reason I ask this is because I want to be able to mist my tillandsias without the calcium that's a normal tap water. At least what's present in might tap water. I don't want there to be a calcium buildup on these plants as time goes on.

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

Try fertilizing every third or fourth watering with Minor (Trace) elements along c your N-P-K (Nitrogen, phosphorus and Potassium) fertilizer, 1/2 strength for Tillansias and houseplants.
Trace elements include Magnesium, Iron, Manganese and other trace elements.
And you could add a Brita filter on your tap. This will take a lot of hardness from your water without stripping it of essential minerals.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 8:07AM
dellis326 (Danny)

Water softening filters soften water by replacing the calcium with salt which would still leave a mineral deposit in your terrarium. You would need a reverse osmosis system or distiller to remove the minerals without adding something else to the water.

I would use a hydroponic nutrient solution mixed in the distilled water for what you want to do, 1/4 strength. The reason for recommending this is that these nutrient solutions are designed to provide everything your plants need including micro-nutrients and essential elements that often aren't found in regular fertilizers.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 10:11AM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Thank you dellis and leafhead!

dellis,

Just before I saw your post I had thought about the distilled water and the hydroponic nutrient solutions combination. I guess great minds think alike! lol Thanks for reinforcing my idea.

Oh, by the way, the RO systems I looked at do not remove calcium.

Thanks again,

Larry

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 5:44PM
bsmith717(6)

Any RO unit worth it's weight in salt, should be taking out the majority of everything and if it contained a DI stage there should be nothing in the water exiting the filter system.

Here's the best bang for your buck that will produce 0 ppm water all day long and it's a quality unit with quality components you could use for many years with only filter/ resin replacement/maintenance.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

Here is the full listing of filtration systems offered by BRS. If you/anyone has any questions you can email them and their customer service (which is about the best I have ever delt with) will happily and promptly answer your questions.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™