Eggplant Blossom Drop?

bnd31205nnjJuly 20, 2008

Hello all-

I am a newbie but have been following along so bare with me!

I have 2 Black Beauty eggplants that both had a single flower . . .they were big and beautiful for 3 days and today, fell off at the stem. It seems to be very similar to the Blossom drop I had experienced with my tomatoes.

I have searched the forums and have not been able to find any answers and I am hoping for a little help. They are in a raised bed with Scotts Vegetable soil. (I also did a "shake & feed " sprinkle on them early on as well)

I am in Northern NJ and the current temps are in the 90's. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Bnd31205NNJ

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi bnd - you hit the nail on the head ;) - it is the same as with tomatoes. Also squash and any other vegetable that grows with seeds inside. Same causes - high temps lead to infertile pollen. Other possible causes listed in the Blossom Drop FAQ are inconsistent soil moisture levels, too much nitrogen fertilizers, high humidity, hot winds, etc. but mostly the high temps and humidity.

About all you can do is wait for the temps to cool, try some hand pollination early in the morning when it is cooler, and keep the plants mulched well so the roots stay cool. They will come around. ;)

Good luck.

Dave

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 9:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smiles317(7)

This may sound sophomoric, however I am newbie. I have 2 Ichiban eggplants growing in 5 gallon buckets on my back deck where the sun beats down all day. I have noticed that where ever a flower drops off, a small eggplants is emerging behind it. I am very new to all of this, but maybe you can give it a day or 2 and possibly see a small fruit coming out? I started with about 4 fruit on each plant....have harvested about 6 and still have about 8 more little guys on each plant.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
ridding tomato cages of septoria leaf spot
It is my understanding that septoria lasts on tomato...
elisa_z5
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Hydrophobic soil and corn watering
Hello folks, For the past 2 seasons, I've been having...
rkslander
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™