need help

sjbaby(4)March 20, 2014

droping leaves like crazy, but the branches are still healthy and green, it gets bright indirect sunlight i don't over water and i let it drain for an hour after watering. small pot and dries up quick then i water again, and yes it is drying up all the way through, so no wet feet. and new growth is showing up slowly. why are the leaves drying up and falling off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjbaby(4)

tiny new growth

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:58AM
sjbaby(4)

closer pic

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:59AM
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

Basically ficus benjamina answers by dropping its leaves to any change in the environment - draught, warmth, cold, even when you place it to a new spot. I would also repot it, there's not much to lose at this state. Use an inner pot that fits in the outer one. While it has just a few leaves, make sure you don't overwater it.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:14AM
auron22(6b OH)

I don't let my f. benjamina dry all the way through, once the top half inch is dry I water. For the couple of months I've had it, it has only dropped a few leaves at first and it took hard pruning pretty well too. Was probably a bad time to prune, I need to test my patience. Early summer I plan on repotting once it recovers.

Here is a very useful thread from Al about ficus culture. I think there are one or two more threads, but I can't seem to find them. They help a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus Trees in Containers IV

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:24AM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

The foil could certainly be interfering w/ drainage. If it were mine, I'd take that off ASAP.

W/ the foil on, how do you know it's drying all the way through?

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:37PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Ficus b reacts to unfavorable changes in light, soil moisture, and temperature by dropping leaves, but not to favorable changes. I'm pretty certain we can isolate the issues most likely to be causing the leaf loss, but it would be a good idea if you read the thread Auron linked to, which will familiarize you with the plant's cultural preferences and help to eliminate as much guesswork as possible. I'd also suggest that you read this basic over view. Both of these articles should help you isolate correctible cultural limitations. By systematically eliminating the things that are limiting the plant's vitality, the plant can't help but regain some of its unrealized vitality and grow with more of its natural vigor.

Al

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:59PM
sjbaby(4)

there is no foil on the bottom and there is good drainage i can lift out the inner pot and check it the foil is just around the edges, my 10yr olds idea. i take the inner pot out to water it. i moved it to a brighter, warmer, more humid site in my kitchen hopefully that will help

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:52PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Oh, OK then, thanks for clarifying that.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
Has anyone grown a coffee tree?
Hi Im curious has anyone tried growing a coffee tree?...
cynandjon
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
My Spider Plant Again......
Out of all my plants this one just seems to get everything....
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™