Money Tree Problems

willows88March 6, 2013

Hello, I'm adding a couple photos of a plant we have that's not doing so well. We transplanted it into a bigger pot a few weeks ago as these problems had already started and it had been in a small pot for a bit too long. The problems continue of course as can be seen here. It gets watered about once a week as we let the soil dry up well before watering again. I have no way of determining the pH of the soil but I understand the plant is supposed to have between 5 and 7. Its watered from the water cooler and not from tap water. My guesses are excessive salt buildup on the roots, which I thought would be cured by transplanting, nutrient deficiency, which, again, I thought would have been cured by a bunch of fresh soil (regular house plant potting soil), or a pH imbalance, which is skewing the proper intake of nutrients.
Any input anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willows88

One of two more photos.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 5:43AM
willows88

And the last of the photos. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 5:44AM
willows88

Ahh, forgot to mention that it only gets indirect sunlight, between 4 and 6 hours a day, I imagine.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 5:45AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

It needs more light, as close to a bright window as possible :-)

How did the roots look when you re-potted? These plants do much better in a fast-draining mix, rather than a heavy potting soil.

Josh

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:48AM
willows88

Thanks for the response, I'll move it into another room that gets more direct light.
Regretfully I didn't take a close look at the roots when I repotted. And I definitely think this soil is more on the heavier side. I've been much more lenient with the way I'm watering it than I was right after I transplanted it. Maybe this and more light will bring it back around a bit. :)

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 12:17PM
houseplantlover86(6)

Try repotting it in the same container--but use a mix of 50% cactus/palm soil and 50% potting soil. This will lighten up the mix, allowing it to drain faster. Make sure your pot has a drainage hole! The plant likes to be pot bound and will thrive in bright light with slightly damp media at all times. See if that helps! :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 3:56AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

A mix of peat-based cactus soil and peat-based potting soil really won't increase drainage. If you must use a pre-bagged potting mix, cut it with 75 percent coarse Perlite. I, however, recommend a mix of durable ingredients, such as screened bark, turface, and some other grit - quartz, granite, small gravel, scoria, et cetera. In a truly free-draining mix, these plants are a breeze to grow.

Josh

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
bugs?
My plants have a sticky substance on them. What is...
gerryl_ann
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Good Growing Practices - An Overview
I am reposting this thread because the transition from...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™