Fertilizing Repotted House Plants

customyarn2013(Zone 6 NJ)March 9, 2013

I have five croton and two aloe that all needed to be re potted, desperately. My question is how soon after potting with Miracle Gro should I fertilize? The bag says it feeds plants up to 6 months, I'm not so sure of that, though, they are growing quite vigorously. I need to water these new pots every other day. Last time I fertilized was in late autumn, with Miracle Gro at half strength.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

I would wait a few weeks before adding more fertilizer, others may have different advice. I'd like to know what others think also :>)

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:24AM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

after repotting i wouldnt fertilize for 2 weeks

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 1:50PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

You can't hurt a plant with too little fertilizer, especially in a soil that contains slow-release. But too much can kill a plant.

" they are growing quite vigorously" If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the growth slows, that would be your sign the time-release is finished releasing.

" I need to water these new pots every other day." That's good if your schedule allows. If it's because the roots don't have a lot of room to grow, this may indicate the pot is too small. Hard to gauge without a pic. I was confused from your first sentence and the rest of the paragraph whether you've already repotted or not.

I wouldn't put Aloe in MG potting soil, but am only going by what I read around these forums, I don't have any Aloes. You may want to go on the cacti forum to read/ask about those.

Your nickname makes me curious if you crochet or some other type of "thready" activity? I think there's a forum for that too, in the home section. I know there's a forum for quilting, and cross-stitch which I've always enjoyed.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 11:05AM
birdsnblooms

Customyarn,

I don't have much faith in MG w/fertilizer.

MG company decided to add 'x' amount of time-release fertilizer, then up'd the price. They did the same w/Moisture Control.
I'd rather buy plain, old MG.

You said you last fertilized late autumn.
I'm assuming around Sept? Sept to Mar is 6-months.

Even if it's been 5-months, fertilizing will not hurt your plants.

Of course, if you feel uncomfortable, wait another month.

I'd be particularly careful fertilizing Aloes. Are they growing? If not, I'd definately wait. If you see new leaves, half or quarter strength will do.

Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 12:36PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

After re-potting, wait 2 weeks to fertilize.

Welcome back, Toni.

Josh

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:12PM
birdsnblooms

Hi Josh. Thanks. How have you been?

Perhaps I spoke too soon. I thought Customyarn's plants were already repotted, especially after reading the Subject of Posting. Hmmm???

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™