Fava Beans in Zone 6 (Connecticut) ?

spinonitaliani(6)July 19, 2012

Hi everyone,

I have some fava seed left over this year and I was wondering what other gardeners in Zone 6 (especially in Connecticut) do with them? It is customary to plant them in very early spring around when the peas go in. But I was wondering if anyone had experience with them in the fall? Has anyone been able to overwinter them and when should they be started? Thanks everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045(7b)

I have only planted favas in zone 9 so I can't directly help with timing, but I want to make sure that you and responders are aware of the possible approach of using fava beans as a cover crop. The point is to fertilize the soil. I assume you would plant them soon in free garden areas and let them grow until they freeze. Assuming they went to seed, the object would be to collect them for next year's plants and not to eat them which can be a problem for some people anyway.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 10:51PM
rossello44(6)

Hi spinon
I am in upstate NY, I have planted fava beans in early spring and harvest them by the end of June or early July. Some people plant them in october and again in June so to have the beans twice in one year. I have never planted them in October, but I am gooing to try this year. We like the fava beans alot and if I can have them twice in one year I'll be very happy. It is important the the soil is slightly sloped and well drained otherwise the seeds will rut.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 11:22PM
ikea_gw

Our local demonstration garden one year tried to plant it in the fall for a very early spring harvest. We are in zone 7 and the beans sprouted just fine but didn't make it through the winter. I am tempted to say that zone 6 might be pushing it but if you don't have anything to lose you should try a few anyways. :)

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Giant Noble Spinach
I started this variety in my grow closet (which is...
thedudefrom1976
What to direct seed in eastern pa
Hi everyone. I'm begining to plan my garden for spring,...
mfran12345
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™