Doryanthes palmeri (Giant spear lily)

auron22(6b OH)March 3, 2013

It's plants like these that makes me wish i lived in a subtropical/tropical area....but then i remember i hate the heat and humidity of it all and i get sad. Even though the plant can reach 12' in height and even longer in width, someday i will find this plant and i will have it in my house! I'm a dangerous lily fan (except most hemerocallis). 11' spike of flowers in such a beautiful color. Anyway, i just thought i would share it on house plants. According to this link i will post, it can be kept indoors for the first few years. Anyone possibly know a trusted source to purchase one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Spear lily pictures and care.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katsols(7b)

wow it's huge! you know what plant im looking forward to getting one day? Tacca integrifolia. I'm into unique rare plants. =]
I actually love warm weather, i grew up in a tropical country. I don't like the florida towns, i like new york city where people can get around easily to places by walking or taking subway and not drive miles to get somewhere.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Had a look at that site on the Spear Lily, Doryanthes palmeri. There's a bit of misinformation on climate. But you should also look up the closely related Gymea Lily, Doryanthes excelsa. It's similar in appearance and size. That was what I initially thought you were referring to.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 6:01AM
More Discussions
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Plant identification & care
Are the plants in the photo a variety of Dracaena?...
bobv2
My Spider Plant Again......
Out of all my plants this one just seems to get everything....
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™