Orchid/houseplant ID

MelekmiMarch 18, 2013

Hi everyone,
I received this plant about 3 or 4 months ago from a friend who told me that this was an orchid. She bought the plant in only ok shape. I immediately repotted the next day. The leaves of this plant to started to wither and fall as well as its closed flower. After a while I started to just let the leaves fall in the pot and sit there for a day or two. About a month later, i started to see a few shoots emerge. So I regained hope and decided not to toss it.
I appreciate all plants but this one here makes my window sill look depressing. What is this plant? An orchid? What are the news shoots? Is that a weed growing in the pot on the right side? Does this plant have any hope? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I don't believe that is an orchid. I could be wrong

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:27AM
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b

I dont think that is an orchid to, if it was a orchid the plant would be dead in a month due to the soil, orchids like fast draining soil, but it can hold some water such as bark. Did the plant have bulb like at the bottom of the stem in the ground? To me it looks like some type of a lilly, due to what the leaves looks like. So in conclusion i believe it is a lily.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:10PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Mele, I'd like to see you post this in the Orchid Forum. I'm not an expert (not even close) on orchids, but I believe that this is one. It looks nothing like a lily to me.

I wish that some of our orchid people would help out.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:52AM
Melekmi

I just did a google image search for lily. And it seems to be the case. However, on the right side, is that a weed growing? It doesn't look like the other news shoots.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 8:25AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

The taller weeds could be lambs' quarters. The little one could be wild carrot. Name-that-plant forum could help if you don't think these suggestions match your plants. Saying where you are can help also, different "weeds" are in different areas.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:33AM

Looking at the cane type segmented stem...what about a dracaena of some sort....terribly elongated and misshapen?

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:46AM

Looking at the cane type segmented stem...what about a dracaena of some sort....terribly elongated and misshapen?

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:47AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I had that thought too, but don't know one to suggest. What about those petiole things in the top pic? Would orchid flowers leave those? Do orchid flower stalks have leaves also? Doesn't seem Drac-like to leave a petiole but I certainly don't know them all, and can't see if the leaves are leaving those. The structure is ambiguous from just these 2 pics.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:19AM
auron22(6b OH)

Never seen an orchid like that. 90% sure it is a lily. Looks exactly like the lily i bought for my mothers birthday in february but with very little leaves. It was those valentine lilies that were everywhere but she doesn't know that. Hers was also loosing leaves, but not that many. I do not think they are meant to be houseplants. If you google oriental lily you may notice the leaves are similar. Did the flower bud also look similar?

Since it is done blooming, and has very little leaves to collect energy for next year. I would knock it out in the freezer and take it out and plant it 30+ days later. This is all under the assumption that is it a lily...it could be something else.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:25AM
Melekmi

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will take this to the other forums and post a closer pic of this plant.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 11:37AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

A simple way to decide if it is a lily (which it does look like to me) is to gently remove some of the potting medium from around the stems. Is there a lily bulb down below?

Rhizo I was thinking those were leaf scars since they don't circle the whole stem likea segment.

I would agree with Purple that the taller weed looks like Chenopodium album.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:05PM
mrlike2u(**)

Looks just like a lily here too If it had a cone shaped flower it would be a trumpet lily. ( AKA Easter Lily) If wider open than a trumpet then it would be an oriental offering a wide array of colors and many orientals have fragrance

Some of them can and are seasonal late spring mid summer repeat blooming even if grown year round out side if zone hardy but not dependable enough to say leave it outside all year. I store mine in containers in cold rooms during the winter and frost season for hardening.

I wouldn't but If you do dig it out you'll need the bulb/bulblets that have split wide open like a cut orange in into sections not the easiest task but very possible.

As they do have frost limits I'd be more hesitant to freeze mine. I've not done it but it is possible to force it to bloom late summer end by the freezer method mentioned.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:05PM
Melekmi

Wow. Everyone was extremely helpful. I posted this in the name that plant forum. And received a similar answer that it is a lily and that the weed is a chenopodium. Thanks so much.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 12:24PM

Good going, everybody! :-)

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Peace Lily
i want to try and grow peace lily plant from seed,...
lulu627
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
HELP!!!!
I just recently bough this plant and it has all this...
lorennland
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™