Peppers, when to pick?

perrynewbeginingJuly 12, 2011

We planted Green, Red, Yellow, Mexibell, Cajun, and Fahitta peppers. How long do you wait to pick? Is there a length of time you should wait before picking? Are they supposed to change colors before picking? I'm asking because our peppers have been a really nice size and looking beautiful, so I am concerned about it roughting before it's picked. So how do you know when to pick them?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Pick as they become the desired color, same for tomatoes. If you arne't sure, google the tomato and get a good look at "ripe" and even google "over ripe" for the tomato variety. The first year I grew black tomatoes we had a few very overripe guys...I kept thinking the shoulders should be growing darker purple instead of darker green....!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:35PM
nc_crn

Once a pepper starts to show it's color (aka, "breaking color") you can cut it and let it continue to ripen to color over a few days. It's not useful to add any type of ripening trick on peppers because they aren't very ethylene receptive...just leave them on a counter. You can put them in them in the fridge at any time and they'll keep for a week or two (usually closer to 2...even longer if you don't mind the peppers soft).

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:35PM
lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)

I am not an expert (by any means) I am NOT Dr. Pepper!!!

However...the technique that has worked for me is that a pepper is ready to harvest when its' stem becomes easily detached from the branch that it is growing on. To test this...take a pepper you know IS NOT ripe and gently pull up on it. It will stay attached to the plant. Now try one you think might be ripe. If it is, it will quickly detach, if not leave it on for a while and come back and test it again.

I hope that this helps!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:59PM
soonergrandmom

I do what lonmower does. With some peppers I wait for the color change, but I use a lot of them in the green stage also and I pick them when they easily break from the vine.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 11:13PM
branik(USDA 5b/6 SS 35/41 AHS 5/6)

I also pick them when they easily detach from the plant.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 1:27PM
perrynewbegining

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. That's why I love coming to this site, and don't mind asking the questions. Because everybody loves gardening and learning as much as we do and are more than happy to share their experiences.

Thanks,
R. Perry

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™